Emergency Tire Repair

need helping fixing it?
purchasing suggestions?

Emergency Tire Repair

Postby Shred303 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Ok this is not exactly an emergency it's just that if I wait for a bike shop to open to get a new tire I can't get a ride in before I have to be at my folks for Easter dinner.

Bran new 29" tire off of my bran new Gary Fisher Hi-Fi 29er. I have no 29" spares and I wanna ride me new bike so bad.

Now it's Saturday evening when I get around to swapping out the tube I discover the 1 1/2" gash up the side wall. The new tube sticking out the sidewall like a bubble gum bubble. This was the tell tell sign something was amiss. Also explains the sudden loss of air that occurred during the Thursday evening ride. No I wasn't drunk, it was getting dark, I just didn't notice. How didn't I notice????????

That would be a thumb sticking through the sidewall and yes I'm crazy/retarded to try and repair this but I really want to ride tomorrow.

Ok here's my fix, wish me luck, I hope it get's me through my ride:

First I sew up the side wall with thread and needle. This in itself is inadequate because the nylon thread cuts through the rubber sidewall like a knife when you put the pressure to it.

Hey lookin nice

Next a heavy duty iron on clothing patch cut 2 1/2" by 3". Ironed that sucker onto the inside of the tire and managed to do that without melting the rubber tire.
ImageImage

Now some more thread and needle work to reinforce the original seem. This time with the heavy duty patch behind it. Next put some air in the tire.
Viola! Looks awesome!

Now let's try it on a ride. Anyone want to take bets on how many miles I go before my sidewall bursts?
-Dave S.

Instead of looking for fast rolling tires, you should try some fast pedaling legs. -DP
Local trails and race schedule
Shred303
check out my scars

Postby Gregg3333 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:50 am

Make sure to take your camera on your ride with you!!!!
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby spurk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:46 pm

shred 303 = Image

you could have just put a dallar bill in there. There isnt much thats thinner and tougher than a dollar bill. it would stay once you had the innertube filled up. But your solution is definitely worthy of the Phoenix Foundation.
spurk

Return to The Doctor Is In