Pushloc, Poploc and other remote controls

need helping fixing it?
purchasing suggestions?

Pushloc, Poploc and other remote controls

Postby Shred303 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:02 pm

What is out there for handlebar mounted shock compression adjustment. Besides the RockShox Pushloc and Poploc handlebar mounted levers what else is out there. I know I've seen other remote suspension adjust levers but I can't find anything about them.

Anyone use the Poploc? The ones I saw didn't look ruged, has anyone broken one?

Anyone use the Pushloc? If it pushes the same way, how can you tell if your fork is stiff and your are softening it and visa-versa.
-Dave S.

Instead of looking for fast rolling tires, you should try some fast pedaling legs. -DP
Local trails and race schedule
Shred303
check out my scars

Postby XxJAHxX » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:33 pm

I ran the poploc on a Reba Race for a few months. While it is true that the lever is plastic, I never experienced any problems either with the structure of the lever or with the location. If you look how the lever is mounted, you see that you can place it mostly out of harms way.

My brake levers are struck often with branches and on unexpected dismounts, but not once did the poploc strike anything. That being said, I abandoned the Reba for the WB Magic IMV and find with the stable platform that I rarely miss the remote lockout feature.

As for other remote systems, I know that Cannondale once made an ELO (electronic remote lockout) for certain Lefty forks. They appear every so often on ebay.
XxJAHxX

Postby Justin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Some Manitou forks have the IT (infinite travel) adjustment handlebar lever which allows for fork travel adjustment from fully extended to fully compressed and anywhere inbetween with a push of the lever. I've heard it is problematic though, at least the initial iterations.
Justin
love the rocks

Postby Indy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:33 am

Not sure of any others that offer the adjustment of the ones mentioned before, but there are tons of remote lockout levers out there, including one for Fox. I couldn't find any pics, but I did find some references to it in the mtbr archives from 03 or so. A quick google search turns up remote lockout levers that work with RST and Suntour forks, even.

I honestly never touch the lockouts on my bike anymore. Eventually I'm going to get my fork and rear shock pushed, and the platform valving will pretty much negate any necessity for a lockout.

For a fork with adjustable travel, a handlebar mounted adjuster would sure be nice, though! I've ridden a couple bikes with Talas forks, and I can be honest, if I have to dismount in order to make the adjustments, I'm not so likely to adjust the suspension at all once I've started riding.
Indy
check out my scars

Pop Lock

Postby Money » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:22 pm

I ride a Niner One 9 - hardtail, single speed with a Reba front fork. Originally, I ran no poplock but felt the power suck of the shock when I was hammering both in and out of saddle. I had Barry from Dirty Harry's pull the shocks guts and install the poplock. The poplock is invaluable for all cicumstances. I shift the poplock lever as if it was an extra gear, using it as often as I would a normal shift lever on a geared bike. The energy saving efficiency of the poplock is an essential component for my setup. The handlebar mount is as durable and functional as normal shift levers. I would go so far as to suggest that anyone who is running a shock front or rear can benefit from the efficiency savings a poplock provides. It gives you all the benefits of a rigid frame combined with the benefits of suspension on demand. Having a poplock is like having a powerband on a motorcyle.
Money

Postby Diamond Jim » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:43 am

Some years ago I had a Fox remote lockout lever on my handlebars. It was metal and worked fine, used it all the time.

I also have a Manitou with Infinite Travel and lockout. It locks out firmer than my Fox but I had to cut the long lever on the Infinite Travel because brush would hit it and change the travel :?
"Only the best for my friends and they aren't here."
See some of my artwork here:
http://johnhinderliter.blogspot.com/
Diamond Jim
check out my scars

Return to The Doctor Is In