I need a tool to get at my nuts

need helping fixing it?
purchasing suggestions?

I need a tool to get at my nuts

Postby spurk » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:46 pm

I have azonic a frame flats. I noticed a little play in the pedals and i was going to tear them apart. when you take off the dust seal there is a nut on the end of the pedal spindle. is there a special socket that you need to get at the spindle nut? pretty tight in there.
spurk

Postby Indy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:48 am

Other than the fact that it's probably metric, I doubt you'll need any special sockets. You may want to put a pedal wrench on the pedal to make sure you don't start to loosen or overtighten your pedal (assuming it's still on the bike). If the pedal is off the bike, then you'll probably want to use a vise or something to hold the pedal spindle securely while you try to loosen that nut.
Indy
check out my scars

Postby spurk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:12 am

sorry the nut is set inside the pedal and you need some type of extremely thin wall socket to ge at it i think. I will try a reg socket but from my memory i dont think there was anyway one would fit inside there. I didnt know if there was a specialty tool to get inside at the spindle nuts.
spurk

Postby ckrobinson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:05 pm

You should be able to use a nut driver, which is like a screwdriver with a thin walled socket at the end. I have to use those to get the spindle nut off of my candy's.
mmm beer
ckrobinson
mmm, sweet spds

Postby Indy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:28 pm

I thought when you said it was pretty tight that the nut was on pretty tight, rather than referring to clearances around the nut (which is what you were actually referring to). Yeah, a nut driver can help. I believe park tool makes a thin-walled socket wrench. I have a couple sizes of 'em in my toolbox.

The one I have is CCW-2, which is actually a crank wrench (14mm & 16mm sizes). Park only makes CCW-5 now, which is a different tool.
Indy
check out my scars

Postby spurk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:27 pm

looks like the tool is me. good call, regular nut driver fits fine.
thanks guys.
spurk

Return to The Doctor Is In