anyone interested? 7 days, pgh-dc-pgh

doesn't belong somewhere else? post it here.

anyone interested? 7 days, pgh-dc-pgh

Postby ruthslp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:34 am

hi, just finishing the huracan 300 and a botched effort/dnf at mile 90 of AZT 300, i am going to do this out and back ride as mostly gear testing, etc for 2 more upcoming self support routes as ITT that i want to do soon (the AML400, the TNGA in both directions). i want to do this practice ride hopefully early in may. if anyone is interested to join here is how i plan to move along:

since i work 2 days/week minimum, I plan to use a wed to wed timeframe around my work days. ride down in 3 days, take a rest day at DC w/hotel, then ride back in 3 days.

i plan to camp all the other nights, even in bad weather (gear testing!!), these will be long ride days for me so i do plan on needing some night ride time to finish(again gear testing lights, etc!!).
lunches i eat on the go by picking up sandwiches along the way. evening food and breakfast are lightweight stuff i carry/pick up along the way that can be made just with hot water or eat cold. other than that i carry enough snacks each day to keep moving/eating, and resupply along the way when i need to (about once/day plan to fill up)

pace isn't an issue, as anyone can ride whatever pace for the designated daily miles, then regroup at campsite/mileage check for the night.
i will keep moving in any rain (pack full on rain gear & mechanical stuff if the grit gets bad) unless it's actual lightening, then i will hunker down somewhere and wait it out. Although i only have 7 days max so if i get held up significantly by weather storms i would have to turn back early.

i am also leaving from my house, which adds about an extra ~40 miles to the start and end for me that i need to account for as well.
if anyone is interested and wants to do one or two full nights riding as well w quick daytime naps, i could do that too (i just don't like doing that by myself too much), but it would actually be a better practice for me in terms of supplies/packing/battery issues and stuff to ride later.

ruth.
ruthslp
show me the single track

Re: anyone interested? 7 days, pgh-dc-pgh

Postby eek3963 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Ruthie - It's Erika - I can do that most likely.I need a more portable tent and some panniers, but I did recently get my REI dividend and need to use that up.
eek3963
mmm, sweet spds

Re: anyone interested? 7 days, pgh-dc-pgh

Postby ruthslp » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 am

ericka:
I have enough spare gear for one person + there are some things we can share for the minimalist camping i do. Don't sweat buying too much stuff in a hurry!
I am PM you a gear list of what I have you can borrow, what we can share, and the few things you will need to have yourself.

I have 'some' spare gear a 3rd person could use, but not full.
ruthslp
show me the single track

Return to General