New Mountain Bike

need helping fixing it?
purchasing suggestions?

New Mountain Bike

Postby eas5468 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Hey guys, I've got a Mongoose 29er that I use up at school to get around campus. I've taken it on some trails but I was looking to get something better. I was hoping to get something mostly for XC but also something that would handle say, the freeride trail up at North Park. I'm a college student so I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible but still get something that is a good quality. Any suggestions of bikes for under 1000? Thanks
eas5468
check out my helmet

Re: New Mountain Bike

Postby roccon99 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Look around for a used all mountain bike on pinkbike, ridemonkey, and craigslist. I've got an 07 Specialized Enduro Expert that I use for nearly everything. Depending on how you set up the suspension, you can ride XC, NP Freeride, Seven Springs, dirt jumps...pretty much anything. Keep in mind that when you buy a bike like this, it's not going to be outstanding at any one thing, but it will be pretty good at just about everything. But, if you like riding a variety of stuff, you can't go wrong with the enduro or something similar to it - and if you search around you should be able to find one just like mine for around $1,000. Good luck.
roccon99
check out my helmet

Postby eas5468 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Would a hardtail 29er be adequate for most types of riding? Or am I better off with a full-suspension?
eas5468
check out my helmet

Postby robertt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 am

For most XC riding around here , a hardtail is fine.
Apollo, Laruel Mt. even Hartwood will get your attention.
A lot of riders ride full ridged single speeds and ride everything.
Your fitness level has a lot to do with it too.
Good luck, if you are out, ride as many bikes as you can.
robertt
mmm, sweet spds

Postby roccon99 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 am

You'd definitely be better off with a full suspension bike if you plan at riding any freeride type stuff at all...and one more in the all mountain range. A hardtail 29er is great for strictly XC, but you would definitely want to avoid anything like NP Freeride - the geometry, frame strength, suspension, and wheels would all be working against you and very liable to break and/or injure you. Like I mentioned before, the great thing about getting a solid all mountain bike is that it can handle most of that stuff, but still works great as an XC bike...just stiffen up the suspension, raise the seat, and you're good to go. I'd be looking for something in the 5-6 inch travel range that is built with light freeride in mind - something like the Specialized Enduro, Giant Reign, Trek Remedy, etc. These are relatively expensive bikes new, but if you continue to search around online you should be able to find an older model for around a grand.
roccon99
check out my helmet

Postby eas5468 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Think this mongoose XR-Pro would hold up? Or what upgrades would make it quality?
eas5468
check out my helmet

Postby bmoore » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:38 pm

No way. That bike most likely will not hold up to any hard use.
I wanted to drop my two cents on the 29er issue. I am now a 29er rider and I will never go back. it took about a year to feel 100% on the 29er but it is a great way to go in your price range.
bmoore
got my training wheels

Return to The Doctor Is In