North Park is for Lovers

info about local trails

North Park is for Lovers

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:41 pm

North Park is the most boring cross country ride in the area. There are so many awesome places to go
but everyone likes North Park. I don't get it. Now, if I met a girl that was just starting to ride, I could see going there with her. I could also see riding that place if you are a transitioning road rider, or getting over an injury. Otherwise, the riding is more technical on the sidewalks of my neighborhood.
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Re: North Park is for Lovers

Postby rav400 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Well, other than, Dr. J, the skills park and the Sand Pit, there are a few things play around on and jump off of along the trails. However, yeah, there are much more fun/challenging trails in the area. I think the biggest draw to North Park is its location. I think many riders live in that area. Also, growing up riding street on my bmx bike, yes, there are some pretty damn fun sidewalks in Hazelwood and Oakland.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race"
-H.G.Wells
rav400
show me the single track

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:29 pm

I hate to be a stickler.. But I did say "cross country"
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby rav400 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey, I jump my XC bike on small jumps and drops. Also, the stuff along the trails i was referring to were mainly large rocks to roll up onto and off of.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race"
-H.G.Wells
rav400
show me the single track

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Parts of North Park singletrack have the double yellow lines painted right down the middle
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby gearhead313 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:38 pm

I think North Park is one of the BEST cross country riding in pittsburgh. Its quite possible that you havent found all of the available 30mi of trails to explore. There are plenty of people that will show you around and introduce you to quite epic loops.
lame
gearhead313
looks good in armor

Postby Deluxe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 am

There are good reasons "everyone" likes north park, not the least of which is that it offers a lot of great trail to a broad spectrum of riders and trail users. There are matters of personal opinion, and then there are outright misrepresentations. Your statement that north park's trails are boring bleeds over into the latter. If you feel your rides there don't excite you, then you are welcome to ride with me there or any one of a number of outstanding xc racers who find the trails to suit their needs just fine for training or racing. Of course, I have generally found that people like you who run their mouths anonymously on the Internet, frequently fail to back it up.
Brian DelVecchio
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Brian. Unlike the other reply to my post who decided to defend North Park, and keep it about opinion, I find it interesting that you had to take it to the level of a personal attack. So. For the sake of Internet fun, and anti anonymity, meet me at frick park and I'll punch you in the face in person if you'd like. Only if you want though- no need for a lawsuit.. Message me with the when part, or put it on here, and then Porc can come and watch and they can all go drink Micro brews afterward.
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby gearhead313 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 pm

hey... dont be angry that you suck at riding bikes. everyone has a learning curve and slow learners are ok too!
lame
gearhead313
looks good in armor

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:01 am

^ good one. I bet you feel a lot better after unleashing that ZINGER! Stay off the internet Fool. People like you are just supposed to read.

While I'm at it. You guys are the ones that got butt-hurt over an OPINION on a forum board. I didn't say shit until I was attacked. And btw... Pull your head out of your ass.. How could you even know how I ride if you admit I'm anonymous.

Back on topic- Hartwood is also pretty boring to ride. All the log piles there are 1000 years old and ride like crap. IMO I was hoping this could turn into a discussion that would lead to finding new fun places to ride.. But I guess since everyone already knows EVERYTHING we can skip all that.
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby gearhead313 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:46 am

The only reason i firmly support pittsburgh trails is a; b/c i was involved a good bit building some and b; i've since moved away to the midwest where the riding is unbelievably horrid. Ive ridden enough to know how great/amazing/fun/exhilarating NP is and if someone doesnt like it, then i want to know why.

SO, why dont you tell us a little about yourself and what you ride and maybe there ARE trails out there that you would enjoy more (even though it sounds like you should stick to the pavement). ...and really, its just the internet, i take nothing to heart but will playfully...play along :).
lame
gearhead313
looks good in armor

Postby robertt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:06 am

So G F M, where is your Fav . place to XC ride ?
robertt
mmm, sweet spds

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:32 am

Yo Brian .. How about we race and the loser has to retire his username on this forum and can never post again? I'm ready anytime.
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:01 am

Roaring Run Apollo, Moraine, or Frick Park
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby robertt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:23 am

None of these places (Frick ?) are XC riding.
Try;
Laurel Mt.
Qubeck Run
robertt
mmm, sweet spds

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 pm

GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm not gonna argue what XC is .. If those places I mentioned are downhill or freeride to you I don't know what to say. All I'm saying is that North Park is boring. Get a road bike and hit the pavement- its nearly the same. If people are looking for cool places to ride, there are a ton around this area.. I just don't see why everyone pops a lady-boner over NP. It's a yawn. I see so much promo for it.. Then I talk to people that have never heard of any of the other places to go. Btw DEER LAKES is also boring as shit. These places are for beginners.. Step your game up, untuck your junk, and ride your MOUNTAIN BIKE.
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Postby gearhead313 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm

you never answered my question...

my fav place to ride is north park, then moraine, then hartwood, then kennerdale, then bavington, etc... Frick used to be good, but its a mess now and a waste of time. The only good thing about roaring run is the rock feature in the 'expert' section, other than that you climb for no pay off. I'll agree, deer lakes is beat but i've heard it was coming back with some trail maintenance?
lame
gearhead313
looks good in armor

Postby Skeeterville Pete » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Frick Park is better than it has ever been. 276 is the best trail in the region. if it is too messy for you, that means you can't handle fricks wicked nature, punk. next time in the slags, make a left down the steep hillside off the river trail if you can make the descent sissy. the neighborhood at the bottom is skeeterville. talk trash down there, doubt it. and keep your eye out for the latest trail in the slags coming spring 2012-The Qaddhafi rim trail. and Greenfield Mike is slooowww and will not punch you. The Swissvale snake will though
Skeeterville Pete
check out my helmet

Postby Deluxe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Sure why not. I'll be back in a few weeks on a weekend. Not sure exact date, but I'll send you a pm for details as to where we should race. I suggest NP. And if you punch me in the face, I will not sue you. But you better swing after the race, because if you do it before and don't knock me out, I will wrap your sorry ass up like a Philly pretzel. Talk soon.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Next

Return to Trail Talk