North Park Ride Report (2009-2011)

tell us about it

Moderator: brungeman

Re: North Park Ride Report

Postby rodack » Fri May 13, 2011 5:06 pm

I'd rather not put metal lathe on multi-use bridges. That stuff is great for bike trails, but not so great for dogs or any kids that trip and land on it. The tread should just be replaced with new wood that isn't packed so closely together to allow drainage and we could try the Deck Restore coating that Brunger suggested last year.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Re: North Park Ride Report

Postby Deluxe » Fri May 13, 2011 9:08 pm

That sounds fine as a long term fix, but I am not sure that we are even allowed in there yet to do anything. Still waiting to hear from the County.

Mike, I sounded a bit gruff earlier so I am editing my thoughts here in deference to your role as chief steward:

The lathe used on Dr. J is not the "cheese grater" lathe used in some stucco applications, so I think the risk of that type of injury will not really present itself. I still am of the opinion that these bridges are dangerous enough that an immediate repair using lathe should be done as a short term fix if the county is not going to, in the immediate future, dismantle, close, or rebuild them per your suggestion. I personally feel that these bridges are the most dangerous feature in the park as do a few other riders who have wrecked on them. The reason being is that they give the user a false sense that they are not slick, and the accidents in question have actually occurred on the two level bridges (the third one is very obviously a danger). I am concerned that an accident could result in a broken leg, hip, shoulder or even worse (mine included). If PTAG is to advocate safe trails, then I would like to go ahead and recommend temporary closure for repair, and if that is not possible, then the type of lathe used in the freeride applications. Long term though, I don't think that anyone cane argue with your proposal for proper bridge construction.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Re: North Park Ride Report (2009-2011)

Postby Deluxe » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:10 am

If any of the lurkers here are attempting to repair the large log roll up on North Ridge (Red w Blue Dot side) in vicinity of Washington shelter, would you please contact either PTAG steward (numbers and email are on http://www.ptagtrails.com) before you continue any work. It has gone through several permutations of repair, and if it continues, we run the risk of losing it completely when the county goes out this week to remove some newly fallen trees. Either PTAG steward can help you get your proposed repair approved, but you need permission from the county. It is a very simple process and we can gladly help. Thank you.
Brian
Deluxe
check out my scars

Previous

Return to Ride Reports