info about local trails

Re: Moraine

Postby trickten » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Any updates on conditions?
trickten
got my training wheels

Postby nomad » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 am

trickten wrote:Any updates on conditions?

Perfect
nomad
lubed and ready to go

Postby swampboy62 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:31 pm

The trail was perfect today. Damn good to have a nice summer day riding.

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby chromagnus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Last week we cleared the point trail of 99% of the Multi-flora rose bushes (jaggers). all the really bad sections are cleared. the point trail is down near the marina. For those that ride it and curse the jaggers, they should be better now. the rest of the trail looked pretty good. one or two logs to clear once we can get out with a chainsaw. That is all.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby gearhead313 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 am

Thanks buddy.. chris and I actually rode that trail monday and it was fantastic having it clear!!
lame
gearhead313
looks good in armor

Postby chromagnus » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 pm

no problem. it needed some love for sure. i only saw two other downed trees one up by alexander ridge where i tweaked a rock pile over a pretty big log and one on the DH towards the marina. If you know of any others tell me where and i will work on getting them cleared.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby swampboy62 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:14 am

Tree down on the ridgetop loop. Not far from that 4' tall log pyramid. Must be about 16" diameter, about a foot off the ground.

Made a short ride out there yesterday. Trail is holding up to the rain so far. First time on the bike in a month (bruised ribs) and boy did it feel good.

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby chromagnus » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 pm

I think we have all tree's from the paved lot to the middle ridge above the marina cleared. Should be two or three over by the alexander ridge trail. someone will get those in the next few weeks.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby swampboy62 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 am

Been doing some riding out at Moraine lately. Headed out yesterday and parked at Alexander Road for a loop. I moved four new downed trees, including one across Alexander Road, but there were at least two more on the trail that will need a saw. One is on the switchback climb - can't remember where the other is.

The tread is by and large in good condition. I think I rode (or could have ridden) about 98%, with just a few sections that were wet and muddy. Much fun was had for sure. Gotta just love that rocky Moraine riding. I might head out again Sunday afternoon...

Recent pics and video at my blog, linked below my signature.

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby swampboy62 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:59 pm

swampboy62 wrote:Been doing some riding out at Moraine lately. Headed out yesterday and parked at Alexander Road for a loop. I moved four new downed trees, including one across Alexander Road, but there were at least two more on the trail that will need a saw. One is on the switchback climb - can't remember where the other is.

The tread is by and large in good condition. I think I rode (or could have ridden) about 98%, with just a few sections that were wet and muddy. Much fun was had for sure. Gotta just love that rocky Moraine riding. I might head out again Sunday afternoon...

Recent pics and video at my blog, linked below my signature.

Steve Z

A little more info after heading back out today...

The Alexander Road singletrack was significantly wetter than the rest of the tread, with some longish wet sections that had to be walked. Two trees down on the old abandoned road - one downhill from the singletrack exit, and one on the uphill between the extreme downhill exit and the bottom of the switchback trail.

So if you're thinking of heading out that way soon, may be best to plan your loop to avoid the Alexander Road singletrack. Everything else was mostly dry, or close enough that it wasn't an issue.

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby Fermenter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Good to hear you are riding and thanks for the report.
Jeff T. was just urging me to ride Moraine this weekend...........but it is raining as I type this!

Think I have something else in the way for Saturday anyhow.

Cheers!
Fermenter
mmm, sweet spds

Postby roccon99 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey Steve,

Been out to Moraine in the past few days? I noticed you said that the Alexander loop was still a little messy. I usually park there and ride the big outerloop towards the marina and come up the back side and through the Alexander singletrack. Do you think this section would be rideable tomorrow or Saturday with the warm weather we've had?
roccon99
check out my helmet

Postby Fermenter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 am

Second that, I didn't get out last weekend and was hoping to ride Moraine tomorrow. Sadly we got rain (in my part of ohio) 3 or 4 days this week.

How is it looking to you Steve?
Fermenter
mmm, sweet spds

Postby swampboy62 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 am

I was out there last weekend. There were some moist spots, but it seemed to me that the moisture level was getting less. There's been some rain over there in the last couple of days, so I'm sure it's not actually dry there. But I'd bet that the trails are generally in good shape (95% + good).

The Alexander Road singletrack above the gate, where the trail crosses the old road, holds up much better than the trail below the gate. I knew there were some soft spots on that section of trail (like up towards the top where it crosses that snowmobile trail(?)), but I was surprised that there were a bunch of other soft stretches below that. I'm just happy to be out on the bike, so it doesn't bother me to get off and walk occasionally, but this was definitely the section with the most wet spots. There's still a majority of the section that is solid, just some stretches that are holding onto the water. My educated guess would be that it would be okay to ride, but expect to get off and walk maybe 4 or 5 places.

That said, you can still get in a good loop without hitting that section. Start at Mt. Union parking lot, ride the tech loops and the downhill on the far side of the first ridge, then down the big loop towards the marina, then the south loop and back up the switchback. Cut over towards Alexander Road and take the singletrack down to the gate, then back the way you came. Makes for a nice ride and avoids the worst section.

Another thing - I noticed a new trail on the big rock downhill. Originally I thought it was a less tech line for riding up the hill, but I'm not sure on that. Anybody have any idea what's going on there?

I'll probably head out that way again on Sunday afternoon, weather permitting.

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby Fermenter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 am

Boy I was getting ready to write the weekend off. Granted I'm 2 hours from Moraine and in the "Clay Belt" so my soil is looking poor today.

I can answer your question though, if that new trail goes uphill to the left then is it the one that is just there to line you up to climb a boulder. The boulder is straight ahead if you on the original trail. So the new trail just turns back to the right. I didn't build it but rode the line on it the first time I saw it, next time I chickened out and had to pass.
It dumps you steep down right next to a tree. It's hard to look where you want to go and not look at the tree!

I'm going to text Bear as he is close.......see how much rain he got. Then decide.
Fermenter
mmm, sweet spds

Postby roccon99 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks for all the info - I may try and get out Sunday morning since the forecast is showing scattered T-storms for the afternoon. Maybe I'll see both of you out there.
roccon99
check out my helmet

Postby swampboy62 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:45 am

Had an absolutely GREAT ride at Moraine yesterday. The trail was more solid than it's been so far this year, with only a handful of muddy spots. The woods are greening up nicely, and the bugs are back out in full force. I think this is going to be a great year for the wild roses - they're already reaching out into the trail in a lot of places.

The trail is actually in pretty damn good shape. A couple of spots have suffered from the wet season early on, but I'm betting that they'll ride in soon enough. The tree that was down on the switchback trail has been removed, and there really aren't too many sticks on the trail.

Saw another piece of new trail there, leading down from the top of the big loop to the bottom of the big rock hill - a route that avoids going out onto the powerline and riding that short section on the other side. Very nice work.

Gotta express my appreciation for the Moraine trail crew. When I started riding there four years ago it was already awesome, and it just keeps getting better. That's some tough terrain to work on out there, and they really make it into something special. Yesterday was my best ride this year, heck maybe even best for last year - and I don't know if it could have happened anywhere else but Moraine.

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby Fermenter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 pm

That was there late last season. I think it was put in for the last race (Month of Mud? ) we came in just after that race and saw it. On that day it was so soft it was nearly unridable and the better choice was the powerline route.

Have not tried to ride it yet this year.....and we have been there twice.

DH trail has had no running water going down any of it. Supreme!
Fermenter
mmm, sweet spds

Postby swampboy62 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Had a Friday the 13th ride today out at Moraine. Once again it was very nice, with the tread continuing to improve. Even the spots that were wet last time were pretty solid now. Don't know how much rain we're going to see this weekend, but today - Moraine was awesome.

A short clip:

http://youtu.be/1LMnHzHo7jw

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby chromagnus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Trails where good today despite the rain. One mud issue, but it will be sorted next weekend. Watch the rocks and logs. Lots of moss and slime from all the rain.
chromagnus
love the rocks

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Talk