Moraine

info about local trails

Moraine

Postby chromagnus » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:47 pm

FYI there are quite a few logs, log piles, and some technical little sections that were cut out at moraine. The park cut most of them out when they were prepping for the race and to clear some sections that they thought should be left more open for intermediate level riders, and that is ok. Over the winter, and from here on out we are going to try to build some new log features from whatever falls on the ground, but we will try to offer an easier line around anything we have. Most of the boulder sections and rock sections cant have easier lines, but when we can we will offer them. Just wanted to give people a heads up that we know why they were cut out and that we have talked with the park. The easy lines we add will not, in most cases, be the direct line choice on a given section as we will always try to put any technical lines the the best path for the rider.

The main thing is that we dont want to go about adding the logs back in where they were cut out. Let them be cut and we will focus on adding some new stuff as mother nature affords us the opportunity, which she will.

If you have questions or suggestions please feel free to let me know.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Re: Moraine

Postby brungeman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:49 am

:shakeshead:

I have to ask, why were they cut and who wanted them cut? Did the park suspect that riders wanted them cut? or what?

I have to wrap my head around the thinking here... I have no problems with "go-arounds" but why cut out the main line?
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”
- Edward Abbey
Mr. Abbey forgot "inspiring, and fulfilling"
if it aint broke, Fix it till it is!
brungeman
check out my scars

Postby Intense1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:27 pm

I assume the parks department saw all those 29 inch wheels and decided they had better cut out all the logs. haha
Intense1
check out my scars

Postby nomad » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Intense1 wrote:I assume the parks department saw all those 29 inch wheels and decided they had better cut out all the logs. haha

I was totally amazed at how many 29ers were at the race.
nomad
lubed and ready to go

Postby chromagnus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:11 pm

at first I was upset, but only one log pile really is missed. Even that we are going to rebuild bigger and better. It was getting love but was sagging more and more each year. I did almost everything today and i was not feeling like the trails were dumbed down in the least bit. i actually like some of the new options on the powerline section. new logs will fall and we can build some different stuff. I posted this not to get everyone riled up, but just to let everyone know that we are aware of it and it isnt too bad. i was kind of tired of hopping over a few logs and the good ones have options to still do the tech lines. It is a change, but not really a bad one. I was still kicked when i got back today from the ride. Fear not. I hopped on my buddies 29;er today too. it was fun for the few hundred yards i rode. SS 29;er is still a pretty cool way to ride the trails.

at first i was mad, but after i actually rode i liked having some speed in a few sections.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby Bushwacker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Intense1 wrote:I assume the parks department saw all those 29 inch wheels and decided they had better cut out all the logs. haha

ha but them more gnar for XC racing the better we do as, as long as your not talking gap jumps.

and yes I willing to bet 95 percent of the people racing were on 29ers.
Bushwacker
looks good in armor

Postby PaMtnBkr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 am

"ha but them more gnar for XC racing the better we do as, as long as your not talking gap jumps"

Saying you what are? Exactly to thoughts my! :twisted:
PaMtnBkr
show me the single track

Postby gearhead313 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 am

I was just as upset to see the new cleared paths.. but I understand the park's position. Im more excited that new stuff can keep going in now that there's a lame-a-round for the TTF ;)
lame
gearhead313
looks good in armor

Postby Fermenter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks for letting us know! Esp. about the reason for the changes and how you feel about them. I was very concerned about what I saw and heard a few weeks back there.

You never know...one could get all riled up (riled?) and not know they could be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm hoping to make the trail day in a few weeks.

Cheers!
Fermenter
mmm, sweet spds

Postby Bushwacker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:54 am

gearhead313 wrote:I was just as upset to see the new cleared paths.. but I understand the park's position. Im more excited that new stuff can keep going in now that there's a lame-a-round for the TTF ;)

the faster line was quite often over the TTF, I even made a pass on that giant log pile on top loop. as someone gasped their way around the go around.
Bushwacker
looks good in armor

Postby chromagnus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 am

as long as we dont see quads on the powerline i am good with that being cleared as wide as it is. It was nice to not be bloodied from jaggers down that stretch. It offers a fast line around stuff you might have ridden once or twice if you hit the new trails a certain way. You can bomb down the one side which is cool too. I think everyone should be on the lookout for quads back in there though as they were there last year and the continually rip out logs to get on the access road around the gate. If you see them you can contact the park or me and i will pass it on. please try to get a description of the quads or a license plate. We closed off a few temporary paths that we didnt agree with so there shouldnt be anything different from a few weeks ago.

As for the go arounds bushwacker is right that the trail is faster with the tech lines. i didnt mind the rest in a few spots from hopping up onto logs. point is that the place is still the most technical trail to ride in the area and that hasnt really changed at all.

Definitely going to rebuild the old log pile that was on the main loop, that was the only thing i really missed. I remember not being able to clear that for the longest time and then it just all clicked and i was good.

Just watch the leaves....man are they thick. Feel free to clear them off any rocks you come across. i tried to get as many as i could, but it takes a while.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby aarons » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:36 pm

I was incredibly amped that the power line was cleared as wide as it was. That was hard work and looks like it took a ridiculously long time.

I could really care less about that log pile. It had been becoming harder to ride but I never thought of it as a cool log pile. It had also been falling apart more and more every year. In my opinion if a feature like that is falling apart, it should either be repaired or removed.

fwiw, I enjoy all the work that the many people put into those trails. Especially all of the rock features (including the ones that weren't in the race, that rock switchback is awesome).
aarons
lubed and ready to go

Postby chromagnus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 am

Oh yeah. i was on the Hiking trail saturday for a bit and walking off the trail and had 4 ticks on my pants. just remember to do a tick check when you are done riding moraine.

As for the features yeah to each his own. it certainly had some issues, but several people kept it smooth and running over the years and was actually smooth. If you build a log pile right it will decay into a solid lump and you can use it for years even if it is decaying. If it is unstable then that is another story. i hate trashing parts as much as the next guy. A new one will be fine and then there will be an option to skip it. Then everyone can be happy. i think that is the end goal for us in the future, to offer options.

I think the park went through and cut most of the powerline with a brushhog and then the last steep part was cleared byTravis by hand. I didnt know we had something available that could cut a swath like that. I am going to try to get the park to cut it back in mid summer next year before it gets out of control and hopefully have a small re-route to cut out the hike a bike section. I am allergic to bee's now and so i cant clear the weeds anymore b/c it isnt worth the risk.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby manhattanprjkt83 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm

you're a tick check
erosion isn’t a real term, it's just for people who like saying it.
save a tree, eat a beaver.
manhattanprjkt83
check out my scars

Postby stork » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 am

I think the park went through and cut most of the powerline with a brushhog and then the last steep part was cleared byTravis by hand. I didnt know we had something available that could cut a swath like that.

I'm sure you talked with the Park and should have known but just to clarify they did not clear any of the powerline with mechanical equipment. All the brush was cleared by hand with a weed whip, sickle and weed eater by volunteers. Also these volunteers are not members nor have any affiliation with PTAG. Its just better if everyone understands what the Park does and doesn't do. this powerline clearing was all manual labor.

thanks
stork
got my training wheels

Postby chromagnus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 am

No i didnt ask them how it got done, but nobody told me either. i saw the job and thought is was a machine. It looked that good. I thought you guys just did the back of that first powerline climb and a few spots on in the woods. Either way the weed wacking on the powerline looked really good and really makes it nice to ride in sections. Having spent quite a few hours weed wacking it in the past and clearing out the Multi-flora rose i know that it can be a real pain in spots.

I like the option to go over the hill in the middle of the loop so you dont ride the same trails more than once when you switch up the loops. Hopefully we can figure out how to get by the muddy sections and make it a sustainable section. I have a feeling that it grew in and was rerouted to the woods long ago because it was always soft in sections, but i dont know that for sure. Maybe we can get guys out earlier in the year to cut sections of that powerline down so that it doesnt grow up during the summer months. We sprayed MF rose in the spring and if it kills the stuff long term then we might be able to use that to clear out some of the nasty sections. Also when they brought machinery back that powerline to replace poles a few years ago, they really destroyed all the singletrack and left mud holes, ruts, and nasty tank treaded trail for almost two years, especially in that middle dip. The front and back sections of powerline were ok, but that middle was all jacked up. I hate the thought of spending time on a section of trail that could potentially be destroyed over and over again. All things to consider i guess.
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Weed eaters are "mechanical" dude.

http://www.ptagtrails.com/drupal/?q=join
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby stork » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Deluxe wrote:Weed eaters are "mechanical" dude.

http://www.ptagtrails.com/drupal/?q=join

Oh Deluxe i was counting on you catching that. I know you read very carefully. :D
stork
got my training wheels

Postby Deluxe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 pm

I knew you were baiting me you stinker.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby stork » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:03 am

Deluxe, also in the construction biz, weedeating, shoveling, raking, jackhammers etc are all considered "manual labor" although they use some mechanical assistance. I know I know! you're going to mention that the guy running the backhoe....but he's an "operator". Good day. :lol:
stork
got my training wheels

Next

Return to Trail Talk