North Ridge Expansion

discuss and plan

Moderator: PTAG

Re: North Ridge Expansion

Postby Deluxe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 pm

If I could figure out how to upload pics (can someone help?), I went back up Saturday IN THE DAYLIGHT to take measurements and pics to upload. The width and length was about 5.5 inches. I found four good tracks in a somewhat straight line, not off-camber like a canine. The entire stride of the set of four was the length of my bike from nose of the front tire to ass-end of rear tire. Let me know when you are at Dave's next, so I can bring in some better pics. I know bear and coyote tracks. These were definitely not those, but could be like a Bull Mastiff or massive Shepherd. I dunno.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby pghmtb » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:40 pm

I PM'd Deluxe to let him know I could help Don Sunday Morning.
I've got one of these that will help with the big stuff.
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.pittsburghmountainbiking.com.com
or
http://www.pghmtb.com
----------------------------------------------------
pghmtb
let's huck

Postby Deluxe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Wicked man. Don has one of those but his is broken so if you could bring yours that would be sweet. Make sure you clean the blood off of it before you bring it.

I just spoke with Don. We'll meet at Pie Traynor parking lot at 0830 (look for the county pick-up truck) take care of the stuff on Hemlock, then comb over the NR bypass for the other felled trees, and then link up with the trail build crew over near the Lodge for refreshments. I will ride rest of park this week to locate any other big fatties.

Thanks!
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby Gregg3333 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Deluxe wrote:If I could figure out how to upload pics (can someone help?), I went back up Saturday IN THE DAYLIGHT to take measurements and pics to upload. The width and length was about 5.5 inches. I found four good tracks in a somewhat straight line, not off-camber like a canine. The entire stride of the set of four was the length of my bike from nose of the front tire to ass-end of rear tire. Let me know when you are at Dave's next, so I can bring in some better pics. I know bear and coyote tracks. These were definitely not those, but could be like a Bull Mastiff or massive Shepherd. I dunno.

Also don't forget that prints in mud are often bigger than the actual print.
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby Gregg3333 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:33 pm

pghmtb wrote:I PM'd Deluxe to let him know I could help Don Sunday Morning.
I've got one of these that will help with the big stuff.

I just recently got me one of those too. Need to break it in, I think I can help with the trees if you guys still need another person.
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby rodack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:11 pm

There is a chance of a little bit of snow for Sunday, but who cares! The temp will be perfect for keeping cool while digging.

Bring fluids and food so you don't almost pass out like a certain worker last time...

Bring extra tools if you want, but we will have tools. Useful: Mcleod, Pulaski, Mattock, tamper, folding saw.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Hey just for the record, I didn't pass out, I went blind, wet myself, and began speaking in Farsi.

I was informed North Ridge has been cleared of deadfall thanks to Ed and his crew. Looks like we only have three major trees/hairballs to deal with now.

Beers donated courtesy of the NP Stewards for post work/ride hydration. Any other beer suggestions welcome - I recall Intense1 and some other folks had some other good beer thoughts on another thread...if I can find em I'll pick em up.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby rodack » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Good work today. We didn't quite make it to the start of the bypass trail, but we're almost there. One more workday will finish this section, especially if we can get a turnout like January. We will be able to finish the benchcutting and rock armor the couple drainages.
About 8 people came to dig in the cold and snow for the second time this year, much thanks to you guys.

I know most people will ignore this, but since the trail is fresh, it will be especially soft during wet periods. Please skip the trail if it is wet so it doesnt get too rutted.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Gregg3333 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Good to hear you got more done. I was too sick to make it, thought I'd be better by now. Ah well, I'm sure there will be many more days for me to help with. Any pics?
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby Deluxe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:27 pm

No worries Gregg, your posse had representation from Shred303.

So what's the verdict on the Great Lakes Sampler vs. Dale's Pale Ale post-work day Smackdown?

Man after the third Dale's I felt real loopy -totally forgot I gave blood yesterday. No wonder I felt like baboon ass this morning cutting trees. But see yinz at the next one! And at Ray's 7 Mar!!!
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby rodack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:38 am

North Ridge Workday and Ride

Saturday April 18, 9:00 AM at the Lodge on N Ridge Rd

We will work until 11, then ride a short loop of the park and shut down two trails on the way. We'll be working on the section from the lodge to the old entrance to Bypass.

Following raking and digging, we will ride Bypass, down to the spillway, across W Ridge where we will shut down a rouge trail, up Walter Rd to close another trail, Back 9, upper Bathtub, then up the raked trail from Olympia Shelter back to the lodge. You'll be able to see what other work we have coming up for N Ridge and provide input.

Possible additional trails depending on the mood of the group...

Come for work from 9-11 or the ride/trail closing at 11, or both.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:38 am

Just keeping up the word on North Ridge work day. Meet sat Apr. 18 at 9 a.m. at Lodge. Ride or beer options for after. Thanks in advance for coming and helping. And be sure to round out the weekend's festivities at South Park Trash race!
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby rodack » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks to everyone that came out this morning. It was quite the varied day.
For those that were not there: we debated trails, we rode, we moved stuff, we closed stuff, we debated, we rode, we raked and moved stuff, we debated, we rode, we raked. I think that was the order...
Good work overall, we got a lot done. Next month we should be able to put in 1 or 2 bridges and pretty up some sections.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Anyone want to help build bridges? We have the go ahead for bridge emplacement on North Ridge, both the Bypass and the new stuff above ice rink. If you want to help, please contact Mike Rodack, Tim Spang or Brian DelVecchio. The date for the placement of 3 of 5 new bridges is Saturday, May 16, 2009 beginning at 8:00 a.m. We will meet at the bypass entrance south of the Lodge on Ridge Road for placement of the first bridge. Bridges 2 and 3 will then be placed further north on the new trail the same day. Bridges 4 and 5 will go in later in the Spring or early summer. Please PM or call any one of the stewards to let them know if you can volunteer. Beer and food will be supplied.

Also keep your calendars open for a PTAG North Park Trail Caucus tentatively scheduled for 31 May. Time and location to be announced soon.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby RLB » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:42 pm

I am almost always busy on the weekends spring and summer but would like to be able to contribute.... are these bridges man made wooden structures or rock pile MTB type bridges? and if they are the larger wooden type who covers the cost.... because I cant seem to get out to NP to work on weekends I would be willing to donate some cash or Home Depot cards for building materials to help out.

Feel free to email me if its OT
Ray(at)TheSBimage.com

Ray
RLB
mmm, sweet spds

Postby Deluxe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22 pm

They are wooden. Anything you could contribute would help - donate it to PTAG. That is from whence the $$ flows...a dontation would help with the next set going in this summer. We will be incorporating natural features though where possible. Unfortunately for North Park, there is no hope of a massive glacier sliding through, depositing rocks the size of which Chromagnus would only move (props to ya Dan), then melting for our riding pleasure...Thanks for your support!
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby chromagnus » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 pm

I say pave it all...boulders suck! :twisted:
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby rodack » Tue May 05, 2009 8:59 am

Does anyone have a truck or trailer that is capable of carrying at least one 16ft, ~550lb bridge? We want to drop the bridges (two 16ft, one 12ft) off at NP on Fri May 15th in the evening. If no one has one, we’ll just rent a Uhaul (donations welcome).
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby chromagnus » Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm

prefab? how does one go about picking up a 16ft bridge(off the ground or truck i mean)?
chromagnus
love the rocks

Postby rodack » Tue May 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Mostly prefab. One doesn't go about picking up the bridge. Four, and hopefully more, do. The weight of the bridges as assembled for carrying to site should be about 375lbs each. The 550lbs includes stringers that will be assembled onsite. They are being prefabbed so we can get all three installed in one day.

All bridges will be connected to the wood footers on site and all will need to have decking attached on the ends after the final ground contour is done. The 16ft bridges will be built with 1/2 the number of stringers, and the other 1/2 will be assembled onsite. We are building the bridges to the plans on the IMBA site because the plans are signed by a PE, and that makes the park more comfortable. The design load for the bridges is 100lb/sqft, so for the 3ft x 16ft bridges that's 4800lbs, or more than a Lincoln Town Car (literally).
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Maintenance