North Ridge Expansion

discuss and plan

Moderator: PTAG

North Ridge Expansion

Postby rodack » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:16 pm

The North Ridge Bypass Trail (aka Rainbow Rail, Bunger & Billy’s Trail) is being extended to start behind the Olympia Shelter (across from the ice rink) and end at the switchbacks above the spillway. The resulting trail will be 6.5 -7 miles of trail that allows users to create an approximately 10 mile loop around N Ridge by riding the expanded bypass trail, then riding up the old Bridle Trail on the NE (Irwin Road) side of N Ridge, and down to Pearce Mill Road near the ice rink.

The goal in 2009 is to complete the NW climb portion of the expansion, and as much of the eastern expansion as time, volunteer work, and other maintenance in the park allows.

I’ve created a Google Map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104045239248518236882.00045c376fcb87fd26e26

to show the progress of the trail work. Existing trails are shown in red, approved expansion in blue, and proposed in white. When we complete a section of the trail, I’ll change the color to red. Upcoming workdays will be shown in brown. I’ll also put in points for impromptu trail work to give people that want to help, but can’t make it to organized workdays a chance to do work. An example (the only one I have so far) would be to mark where we will need rocks to build up rock culverts or any rock armoring. If someone wants to do work between workdays, they can stage rocks near where we will be using them during organized days. If you have other/better suggestions please let me know.

The section that is not yet approved should be approved in the next few weeks, then we will schedule the first workday.

PM or email me if you have any questions or want to help.
michael DOT rodack AT gmail DOT com
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Re: North Ridge Expansion

Postby Gregg3333 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Awesome stuff! I'll have a group of guys ready to help when it's time. The proposed trail will be a great addition.
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby rodack » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:30 pm

I updated the NP NR map to show 5 areas on the first section of the expansion for motivated individuals to stage areas for organized trail work days. Four areas for staging rocks, one spot has several old bolts that need to be cut from a foundation. Please do not build any actually rock crossings or armored areas, as the final orientation of the trail has not been determined.

I also noticed that some extra-motivated people have built, or repeatedly ridden the section from near the lodge towards the original entrance of the Bypass Trail. Definitely some clearing of undergrowth, but it was hard to tell what all was done with the snow on the ground.

Please do not build any trail, or ride the route, because it will turn into a trail. We have the opportunity to build a great section of trail with fun features that will not require constant maintenance or rerouting. It would be easy to ride the entire proposed route from flagged tree to flagged tree and just clear the brush and undergrowth, but the trail would not be as much fun as it could be with planning and work. This trail can show off what we can build if we do it in an organized fashion. Take the holidays off from building (unless you want to work on one of the 5 areas on the map), and come to the organized work days to build the trail. The final line won’t be set in stone even on the day we are building the trail, so if people see a better line, we’ll build the better line.

I guess there may be enough desire for this expansion that people will build in the snow and cold, so if people want to we will have workday(s) in January, but we aren't going to rush it.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby rodack » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:22 pm

I forgot to mention that if you do some work for the trail let me know how many hours so we can keep track of our effort.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Adelino » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:14 pm

I went out there today to poke around and found a good cache of rock for the armoring at point 5

rock cache
40° 37' 11", 080° 00' 49"

From point 5 go back along the "trail" towards point 4 a little ways and head down towards the main creek. There's a small flat area and just past that is where the rocks are, near a small tree that forks close to the ground. I dug up a good bit of rock. There's probably more under the snow and leaves.
Adelino
lubed and ready to go

Postby rodack » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:20 pm

1st North Park work day on North Ridge.

Sunday January 11, 10AM. Meet at the lodge parking lot on North Ridge.

See the map : http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104045239248518236882.00045c376fcb87fd26e26 for what we will be building.

Opportunities for upper body workouts in the form of bench cutting and rock armoring. Opportunities for exercising your artistic muscle to close rogue trails and make it appear as if no trail existed.

Additional details to follow.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Despite snow forecast, the work-day on North Ridge for 11 Jan is still a go. See yinz soon.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby rodack » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:00 am

We'll see how the weather turns out for the trailwork. Check on Sat evening for the official word...

Right now we will probably just be clearing the trail path of debris and undergrowth and cutting vines followed by a winter ride. I don't know what the pace or length of the ride will be, we'll play it by ear. I can say that there will at least be a casual-paced ride consisting of myself and anyone else that gets slow this time of year.

The gate to get onto North Ridge Rd will most likely be closed on the spillway side, and may be closed on the ice rink side as well depending on the amount of snow. If the workday is still on, and we can't get the gate open, the meeting place will be the Olympia shelter, which is directly across from the ice rink.

There will also be food and beverages of the fermented type if we work out in the cold.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Gregg3333 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for the update. Snow then rain on top of it makes for heavy snow. :(
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby rodack » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Naaa... It's not 8 inches of heavy snow... just a couple.
We will be working tomorrow in the wintry weather.

There is a race (running) tomorrow morning that starts at the lodge at 9AM that I originally thought was today, so the gate by the ice rink should be open, but there may be a lot of people at the lodge lot. If the lot is full, I think you can park on the shoulder as long as you're sufficiently off the road and you won't get stuck in the ditch with the snow. If the gate at the lodge is open, you can park at the pulloffs near the original enterance to the bypass trail. There are also pulloffs on the way up N Ridge. Worst case, dedicated trail builders can park at the lot across from the ice rink and call someone to get you or bike it/hike it (0.9mi on road) to the work.

To get to the work: From the lot, walk across the small field on the left side of the lodge to the road, turn left and walk along he road, we will be in the woods on your right.

Questions, call Brian: 412-559-0470
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:26 am

Sorry about late notice. The entire lengthof North Ridge is closed temporarily. Meet at parking lot on Pearce Mill across from rink (Olympia Shelter). Bring your bike. There will be a pre-ride while a skeleton crew walks the tools up the hill. Food and fermented beverage (Dale's & Pacifico) at Deluxe's garage for after.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby rodack » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Great workday today, other than a few problems starting out due to the race that started at the lodge, the trail looks fantastic.

About 16 people came to work in the cold and snow. The conditions were surprisingly good for digging, and we cut in about 1/2 of the 0.3mi section from near the lodge down to the entrance of the bypass trail. The cold weather kept the crew fairly comfortable while digging, and several people actually shed their coats after a bit of working.
We will finish this section of trail to the entrance of the bypass trail during the next workday.

Huge thanks to everyone that came out and started the year off right at North Park. Pictures to follow...
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm still seeing some strange shit...

Awesome lines cut today. Thanks to everyone who came out: representin' from PTAG, PORC, DORC, Dirt Rag HQ, PTAG, Friends of NP, Venus of the Rocks, the Italian Stallion "Cercone the Cyclone," and the usual suspects, like the Patterson film - often seen but never i.d.'d - Fast Ed and Stick man and comrades.

See you at the next one.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby Gregg3333 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Good work today. Good to see people out in the cold temps. Glad to meet new riders, see you next work day.
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby Spangaru » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:01 pm

I just want to echo Mike's 'pat on the back' to all who made it out. It was a great turnout and resulted in some very significant progress (especially if you measure it in 'earth-moved-per-person'). Many thanks to Mike and Brian for organizing! I've posted a few pictures from the day, but wish I could have made the post-work activities so they didn't all look so much like those previously posted chain-gang photos...

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

...and since those didn't work and I'm not gaining access to my photo site, all of the pics can be found at:http://users.stargate.net/~tspang/picsvids/PTAG%20NP%2011JAN09/
Servus,
Tim
Spangaru
check out my helmet

Postby Deluxe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:18 pm

One more thank you and I'll stop the love fest; I forgot to thank Emily Rodack, Mike's wife, for picking up the food donation from Mad Mex for after the work-day. Thanks Emily! Also thanks to Mad Mex (Gary Terner) for the food support.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby Gregg3333 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 am

Great pictures Tim. The chain line feel was only enhanced by Brian yelling out Cool Hand Luke lines, lol.
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby rodack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Next workday: Sunday Feb 22, 10AM at the Lodge, unless the weather doesn't cooperate.

We will be finishing up the segment from the lodge to the start of the existing trail.
There is no race this time (as far as I can find online) so we should be able to park and get started in a more organized fashion.
We'll also do a better job to get a ride out after 2 hrs of work for those of you with small arm muscles.

Anyone want to lead a ride after 2 hrs?
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:43 pm

As Mike mentioned, workday will start at 10:00 a.m. but we need two people to help Don Schmitt cut out some big trees on North Ridge and the Bypass trail beginning at 8:30. Call me at 412-559-0470 if you can help. When the tree crew is finished, we'll link up with the crew building the new stuff led by Rodack. Then ride or beer after.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby manhattanprjkt83 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:27 am

scholl showed me the pic of the mt lion print, i have seen prints before out west and i def couldnt tell because of the low rez nature of the shot but that is pretty damn creepy if you ask me...Those things are the biggest threat to mtb riders...

bears dont have much on them :?
erosion isn’t a real term, it's just for people who like saying it.
save a tree, eat a beaver.
manhattanprjkt83
check out my scars

Next

Return to Trail Maintenance