Frick Park

tell us about it

Moderator: brungeman

Frick Park

Postby joefi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:36 am

How are the riding conditions at Frick Park? Thanks.
joefi
mmm, sweet spds

Re: Frick Park

Postby bikepark » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 am

I went to Frick last night and things were good. Things were a little slippery because of the fresh snow. I'm pretty new to riding in the snow so I didn't hit a ton of the singletrack, but what I did was all ridable and fun.
bikepark
got my training wheels

Postby jokermtb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 am

Visiting from Detroit - rode from the Priory Hotel where my wife and I were staying, on the north side, up the Heritage bike path, stopped at Big Jim's for a beer (on our way there, and back!), up thru Schenley Park,then onto Frick, via Forbes Ave. Nice mix of trails at Frick, and we did get to ride the freshly cut new stuff that descends towards the stream. It is quite the maze there, so the map I downloaded online was a great help. Fun trails! You PORC'ers are lucky to have such trail opportunities in the urban grid. The sprinkling of log crossings and fun trail features makes one eager to see what's round the next bend. Not exactly sure what the "no bikes" signs are all about near the top of Frick Park, but anyway.... That said, I really enjoyed the long descent thru Schenley Park, shadowing the creek bed and rolling over those little old stone bridges that end down by the pond/railroad track crossing.

Whenever I visit Pittsburg - I always try to do this ride, and it never disappoints - good stuff, in a fun city.
jokermtb
got my training wheels

Postby Unreal Machine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. We really are lucky to have a unique and outstanding place to ride right in our backyard. Probably why I moved so close to the park :D
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby jokermtb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Right on! Where I live in metro Detroit, there's about 5 trails within 1/2 from my house, so I can really appreciate how lucky you guys are for having a trail in the city. We also rode Hartwood Acres, and really enjoyed those trails as well - the mansion and stables are incredible. FYI - we ran into a 'Friends of' group who were fixing up the mothballed Stables for a fundraiser, and we talked to them for a bit. They were happily surprised we were visiting from Detroit, and picked their park to mountain bike in. These folks really were really stoked about the park, and spoke highly of the mountain bike use of the park, helping put the park on the radar. I couldn't help but think this group would be a good ally for PORC to open a dialogue with, if not already. Anyway - great job on those trails, and Heebie Jeebie was lots of fun.

I must say - those french fries at Big Jim's were outta this world!
jokermtb
got my training wheels

Return to Ride Reports