Frick Park (ongoing reports)

tell us about it

Moderator: brungeman

Frick Park (ongoing reports)

Postby Unreal Machine » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:20 pm

7-25-11 (evening)

I was desperate for a ride after almost a week off so I took my chances at Frick. It was pretty slick all throughout, but not as muddy as I thought it could have been. The roots were extra slick and threw me around much more than usual. Only one downed tree I came across on the Iron Grate trail but I just rode over it (maybe 6" in diameter and perpendicular to the trail). 276 was no worse than the other trails. The fire roads continue to be all torn up. Just ride smart and a little slower than usual and you should be fine (assuming you have disc brakes). Should be a lot better tomorrow.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Re: Frick Park (ongoing reports)

Postby Unreal Machine » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 pm

8-1-11 (evening)

Of course it starts pouring right before my ride. I decided to go anyway and started my ride around 6:30. As expected, it was very slick through many parts of the trails. Almost crashed on the Iron Grate trail right before it banks hard left towards Commercial St. Some work needs to be done on the bottom parts as there are small stumps growing in that are really unnecessary (note: I'm not a fan of sanitizing the trails, but the only purpose these small stumps serve is to puncture tires). Braddock was a little more dry, but the roots were slick. Rollercoaster was wet and a little muddy. I followed the trail that connects it to the Falls Ravine, but I crashed (over the handlebars) when trying to cross over the creek. I hit those roots at a bad angle and just bit it pretty hard. What a bad decision to even try it knowing the roots would be wet. Thank the good lord I wear protective gear and I really only strained my thumb a little and ate the dirt (yes, literally). I cut my ride a little short and took that single track (land of a thousand roots) that goes up Riverview Hill and headed home. Also rode some extra trails on the other side of Commercial for the first time so I don't feel bad about skipping the Nature trail. I will have to recommend against rides immediately after heavy downpours at Frick. If you must, at least make sure your brake pads are full.
Last edited by Unreal Machine on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:39 pm

8-6-11 (late morning)

Was afraid that I would again have to deal with the weather, but only a little rain actually fell this morning before my ride. Conditions were pretty nice for the most part, but the roots were pretty slick thanks to the rain from last night and the extremely high humidity today. First off, big thanks to whoever cut out that huge limb. Embarrassingly, I actually slipped on that big root that preceded it and fell over. Finally went down the expert line at the end, but ended up walking my bike over that huge obstacle at the end. I plan on riding it next time though if it is actually dry out. Went across Commerical St. and better familiarized myself with those trails too. I think I have a good line to ride next time. The freeride (?) park up there is an eyesore with all the litter on the ground. I suspect teenage bmx'rs are to blame. Rode up the fire lane ext. in a higher gear than normal and was happy to make it and feel even less fatigued than usual to boot. Did the roller coaster and finally worked my way down to my arch nemesis at intersection of Falls Ravine. After crashing out 2 rides ago, I rode a nice line but hit the rocks on the other side too hard and got a flat on the rear. Wouldn't you know I didn't have a spare tube as I had just replaced my front tube from the previous ride (yes, I thought I could go exactly 1 ride before picking up a new one later today). Lesson learned the hard way as I had to do the walk of shame back to my house.
Last edited by Unreal Machine on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby swhile » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Nice ride report. Sounds like you need to invest in a patch kit. :) They are small and easy to put in your pack. They come in handy in that exact situation - no spare tube. Saved my butt many times. :lol: Pick one up when you get a new tube.
swhile
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:19 pm

swhile wrote:Nice ride report. Sounds like you need to invest in a patch kit. :) They are small and easy to put in your pack. They come in handy in that exact situation - no spare tube. Saved my butt many times. :lol: Pick one up when you get a new tube.

Yeah, my uncle told me the same thing regarding the patch kit :) I will have to get the kit next time I'm at the bike store (way too often). The big news though is that I will be getting a new bike in a week or so. My first order of business will be to convert my tires to tubeless.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 pm

8/8/11 (evening)

FIRST SKINNY GOING DOWN THE NATURE TRAIL NEEDS MAINTENANCE (see below)

I must have some kind of rain curse because it seems to rain almost every day I want to ride lately. Thought I wouldn't ride after the heavy downpour in the afternoon, but after the 6 pm storm never came, I decided to give it a go. As expected, conditions were rather slick, but actually not as bad as I expected them to be. Iron Grate was especially slick with a little more mud than last time.

Rode up the Fire Land ext. and through the roller coaster. Didn't make the last hill due to the slickness and also didn't make that steep hill along the subsequent trail. Opted out of the creek bed for obvious reasons. Rode up Falls Ravine and down the Nature Trail. Imagine my surprise to find out that the other half of the first skinny was completely off the log. I prayed for a clean kill, but I actually stayed on my bike over the log and landed on the fallen skinny. I weighed the pros and cons and decided to put it back up, but it REALLY needs some professional attention. That log needs to be notched or something of the like. The rest of the trail was pretty slick and I almost bit it going through that technical part with rocks toward the end. Rode up and around and tried a new line back to Falls Ravine. Should have gone right as I encountered a downed tree that was not passable. Finished going up the Riverview Hills trail and again couldn't make one of the hills due to the slick conditions. All in all a good ride.
Last edited by Unreal Machine on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

8/10/11 (early evening)

What a beautiful day to ride. Trails were slightly (emphasis added) damp which made the trails just a little more slick than you would expect. Iron Grate was a little muddy at times. Finally rode the expert line. I came over the obstacle very heavy on my handlebars and was rather lucky not to have gone over them. It really could have gone either way. There is a new large obstacle on the flats toward the end. Very nice job whoever built it, but why leave that stump right in front of it? Connected to the lower Braddock trail and again rode well. Made my way across Commercial St. and hit those trails a little. Went back across up Fire Lane Ext. and rode the Roller Coaster. Finally went down that supper steep and rocky creek bed. Made my way up to the Nature Trail and rode over the disappearing skinny from last ride. Climbed my way back out, down, and finished up the Riverview HIll trail. Probably the last ride on my current bike as my new one is due to arrive in Pittsburgh soon.
Last edited by Unreal Machine on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:33 pm

8/14/11 (late afternoon)

Debut for new bike @ Frick. Wow, such a great ride! My advice - buy the best bike you can afford. Anyway, it was a little damp as apparently it must have rained last night (honestly wasn't paying attention). Really not bad at all though. Went down the expert line again and it was much smoother this time. My pelvis was literally behind the seat as I went over the other side of the log obstacle. Rode the Braddock trail with more speed than usual. My handling is just so much better on the new bike (all air shocks and wider tires will do that for you). Didn't cross Commercial st and did the rest of my standard route rather strong. Even went over my nemesis creek bed at Falls Ravine.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby coolhand » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Nice reports!
A few questions.
When you refer to the expert line is that the trail that turns left across the creek about one third the way down Iron Grate? (I am still trying to learn all the trails at frick)
What is your new bike? I am always looking for input on bikes as I am looking to get another bike myself. Looking at All Mountain type bikes as I already have a XC bike.
coolhand
check out my helmet

Postby laxap » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Unreal: There's nothing stopping you. That little stump before the most recent feature on 276 is definitely a nuisance. Grab your spade next time you're headed to the park.

Coolhand: If you've found 276 then you know the expert line. It's well marked.

laxap
lubed and ready to go

Postby coolhand » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Welp that is one trail I don't know. I have never seen that sign. Could you tell me where 276 is. I know most of the names and locations of the other trails except 276
coolhand
check out my helmet

Postby laxap » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:15 am

It's across the creek.
laxap
lubed and ready to go

Postby coolhand » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 am

Ahhhh, okay. I get where it is now. Thanks a lot laxap
coolhand
check out my helmet

Postby Unreal Machine » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:35 pm

laxap wrote:Unreal: There's nothing stopping you. Grab your spade next time you're headed to the park.

I will. May even go tonight if I can find the time. I am hesitant because that particular stump makes the obstacle MUCH harder and may have been left there on purpose. There are other smaller stumps that need to go as well.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:37 pm

8/15/11 (evening)

Rode with the expert group in the Bike Pgh group ride last night. Crikey, those people are FAST. Conditions were of light to moderate slickness throughout. I'm sure the trails will be fine today.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby randob300 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Trails throughout the park were in great shape. Slightly damp, roots were still slick and areas of general muddiness were only moderately wet but not excessively wet. Rode throughout the entire park and can't wait for tomorrow - the trails should be damn near perfect. Now, if only that six inch root wouldn't have sent me over the handlebars...
randob300
check out my helmet

Postby Unreal Machine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:11 pm

8/17/11 (evening)

As expected, the conditions today were pretty much perfect. I was still a little worn down from my Sat/Sun/Mon rides and it showed over the first 40 minutes or so. Later in the ride I left my fork locked out over the Nature Trail and almost did a faceplant over that one large rock that has 2 ft drop after it. Seriously rode on my front wheel for a few feet. Other than that it was a very smooth ride.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:31 pm

8/22/2011 (Early Evening)

Beautiful day for a ride. The trails actually felt a little too dry at some points. Too dry in that there was some loose gravel, or maybe I was just riding especially bad? Anyway, I had a couple slip outs going through some turns. Didn't quite lay the bike down, but came very close a few times. There was some debris scattered throughout as well (sticks, runoff, etc.). I would have cleared some of it, but I was in a big hurry to get my ride in as I had other plans later in the evening.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:47 pm

8/24/11 (evening)

Very dry. Still a good deal of debris. Tried to move a huge limb that fell on the upper part across the stream, but it was way too big for 1 person.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:06 am

9/8/11 (evening):

Despite all the rain recently, the trails really weren't that bad at all. Trails were damp and a little slick, but not that much mud. The roots weren't that bad either. Leaves are falling so that does change things a tad.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Next

Return to Ride Reports