Frick Park (ongoing reports)

tell us about it

Moderator: brungeman

Re: Frick Park (ongoing reports)

Postby cburch » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 am

Our back yard in morningside does the same thing.
cburch
love the rocks

Postby Unreal Machine » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 pm

laxap wrote:Is the glass sharp?

Unfortunately that section of the park has glass embedded in the soil for at least a few inches. It's from the houses in Regent Square at the top of the hill. For over 50 years the residents tossed trash over the hill, and now that means that the surviving materials (glass, ceramic, concrete, and to some extent metal) slowly works its way down the hill over time. After every hard rain we find new glass. It isn't going anywhere, but sometimes a "stash" is uncovered and could be removed. Sounds like you found one.

The good news is that since the glass has been weathering the elements for so long, most of it has eroded into smooth, relatively harmless bits.

I live in one of those houses and have been trying to figure out a way to make it safe for kids to play in these woods, but I think I've come to the conclusion that it's not going to happen in my lifetime. So, they just play anyway and we make sure their tetanus shots are current.

I didn't touch any of the glass since I didn't have anything to protect my hands or anywhere to store the broken glass. I just tried to kick it off below the trail as best as I could. And yes, I noticed it was imbedded deep as the more dirt I kicked away, the more glass I saw. I guess I am just surprised that I have never noticed it until now. There were bits of glass from 0.5" to 3" for about 30 feet. Perhaps I will come back over the weekend with a shovel and bag if I can find the time. Not sure if the fact that this glass is historical is more comforting or less?

Also, rather jealous of your property location :D :wink:
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby kmoses » Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Rode frick today. Was nice and dry despite all the rain earlier this week
Dude!?!?
kmoses
mmm, sweet spds

Postby Unreal Machine » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm

There are some trees down at Frick. One on the Nature Trail (about halfway through, need 3-4 people to move it) and another on 276 (I imagine this will turn into a new obstacle though). Other than that the trails are mostly great. Couple of small patches of mud and slight debris, but really good conditions and especially good considering the weather last week.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 pm

The ridge by the entrance to 276 is completely blocked off. You have to walk your bike over the rocks near the first switchback to enter it. Probably for the best as that ridge was starting to look a little deteriorated over the last week.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby jwill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Is there a plan for the entry to 276? I saw a bunch of kids with Blue shirts on working on that part of the trail? Any idea where they came from? Did they put the tree parts on the ridge which serves as the entry to the beginning climb to get to 276? Why not have them do something useful, like clean up the garbage in the creek and on both sides? there are a couple of big trees down on 276, any plan to remove them, transform them into obstacles?
jwill
check out my helmet

Postby Unreal Machine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 pm

jwill wrote:Is there a plan for the entry to 276? I saw a bunch of kids with Blue shirts on working on that part of the trail? Any idea where they came from? Did they put the tree parts on the ridge which serves as the entry to the beginning climb to get to 276? Why not have them do something useful, like clean up the garbage in the creek and on both sides? there are a couple of big trees down on 276, any plan to remove them, transform them into obstacles?

No idea what any plans are for that trail. I rode there again today and the trees were still there blocking the ridge entrance. I think the only tree that needs to be removed or turned into an obstacle is the huge one near the end.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby macd5018 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:17 pm

276 is not a ptag trail so it's up to those who built it to maintain it. The park had those people block off the entrance, the nine mile run assc. Doesn't approve of that entrance and want people to ride the rocks across the stream by the bench
macd5018
check out my helmet

Postby laxap » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:39 pm

According to a bona fide source, 276 is not closed. At the request of NMRWA, several of the creek crossings have been closed in order to preserve the bank. They're apparently putting up signs soon asking that we not cross in sensitive areas. Please follow the signs.

Ordeal? I think any ordeal that went down was imagined by some, rumored by others, and ignored by anybody who has any influence. In the meantime we love to ride 276.
laxap
lubed and ready to go

Postby Benzo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:45 pm

What's going on with 9 mile run trail? Is this open or not between duck hollow and frick?
Benzo
got my training wheels

Postby Unreal Machine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Nature trail and Iron Grate are very icy. 276 is a little less icy, but also has lots of mud. The fire lanes are a mix of snow and ice. Ride with caution. Use wide tires or studs if you got 'em.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Justin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Rode today and conditions were great. Not icy, not muddy, generally good traction. The only trail section that I rode that I would avoid is the new lower Bradema extension. It looks to me like people have been riding it when very wet (like it probably was earlier in the week with the warm temps) and now it is a rutted up mess. It is actually still a little wet, for some reason that hillside just doesn't drain well.
Justin
love the rocks

Postby Unreal Machine » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:36 pm

3/10/13

Trails are quite soft for the most part. Very rideable, but the mud may stick to your tyres.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 pm

4/4/13

Trails are slightly soft, but in great shape for the most part. Rollercoaster, Bradema extension and Iron Grate are a little muddy. There is a big tree down at the beginning of the 2nd loop on 276. It's too big to move (for one person) and too far off the ground to ride over. The new features/loop on the Backyard trail are nice.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 pm

4/22/13

Trails are very good. Just a few mud spots here and there (usual suspects). That new fat-skinny bridge on the Bradema extension is totally sweet. Make sure you get some speed at the end because there is a nice little dune to catch some air on right after the end (if you like). Thankfully, I did not encounter that ax-wielding maniac people have been posting about, but perhaps that's because I didn't venture over to the slag piles? Be safe out there.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 pm

5/2/2013 (evening)

Frick is in great shape and should be nice to ride all weekend. Check out Crater Trail if you haven't yet and ride safe.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby Unreal Machine » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:02 pm

7/11/2013 (evening)

Trails are slick/muddy, but rideable. Lots of debris. I spent most of my ride on Crater et al. clearing debris. There is a tree that is partially down on Humpular that acts as a thuderbolt. It will need removed. Lots of overgrowth everywhere. The whole park (desperately) needs a dedicated work/maintenance day. I would volunteer my time if PTAG/PORC set it up.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Postby jwill » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Funny, just posted similar on message on Trail Talk thread......
jwill
check out my helmet

Postby FRICK HATCHET GUY » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:28 am

You can trim whenever you want.
FRICK HATCHET GUY
got my training wheels

Postby laxap » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:47 pm

The mudslog above the foundation on the BYT has been remedied. Check out the "causeway" that was built over it on your next ride though Frick. The one on the upper section is still soggy, but reasonably rideable. Hopefully that'll be taken care of soon, too.

Then, head over to the slags and take a look at the latest addition to the Crater.
laxap
lubed and ready to go

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Reports