Relacing wheelset -- which spokes?

need helping fixing it?
purchasing suggestions?

Relacing wheelset -- which spokes?

Postby laxap » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:51 am

I'm relacing my wheelset because the spokes keep breaking (the alloy nipples either sheer or strip under heavy loads of cornering or coming off drops - twang!). Is it really worth the money to buy higher quality spokes, which seem to only come by the box of 72 or 100, or should I just visit Jerry Kraynick? I can relace and true well (that hasn't changed since my days wrenching), so that's not an issue.

To be specific, I need 32 (+ a few extra just in case) of each 292mm and 290mm spokes (total of 64) with BRASS or STAINLESS nipples.
laxap
lubed and ready to go

Re: Relacing wheelset -- which spokes?

Postby Intense1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 pm

I've had the best luck with DT Swiss or Wheelsmith brand spokes. Are you interested in replacing with tapered spokes to save weight? Otherwise, if you're not breaking spokes then I would just get rid of those alloy nipples.
Intense1
check out my scars

Re: Relacing wheelset -- which spokes?

Postby bobbyd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 am

+1
Alloy nipples are not the sturdies things - if it is the nipples that are breaking - get some brass ones.

I would recommend double butted spokes from DT Swiss. The way you process steel has a lot to do with how stretchey/strong/brittle it is - so going with a good company is worth it.

Also - there are a few websites that let you buy individual spokes - so you don't need to buy a whole box:
http://www.cambriabike.com/
Is one of the companies that does that.

I lost a few spokes last year after my derailleur decided that shifting in to the wheel was a good idea, and was able to by 8 spokes to replace them.
bobbyd
mmm, sweet spds

Return to The Doctor Is In