lights on the cheap

need helping fixing it?
purchasing suggestions?

Postby mofiki » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:40 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimat ... ens-with-/

I'm in the proccess of building this one right now. I think it's the future way to go.
mofiki

2 1/2 hr run time battery pack !!!!

Postby robanco » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 am

13.2 4000ma NiMh battery pac with charger
2.5 hr run time (won't melt cam. back)
$75.00
412 795 7444 day time
robanco

Postby Gregg3333 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Bob did you get my pm?

I'm interested in the HID if you still have it.
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby barrybikes » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:18 pm

everytime I try to save a few dollars, I spend more time and cash than makes cense, example, save money on a light and spend the big bucks on the doctor bill, look at a newlight from Night Riders under $180= 3 1/2 hour burn, 420 grams, bright as a 20 watt, and reliable as a dollar bill, wont even catch yer car on fire.
Barry Jeffries
730 Allegheny River Blvd
Verona, Pa 15147
412-828-2667
info@dirtyharrys.net
www.dirtyharrys.net
barrybikes
mmm, sweet spds

Postby ladieu » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:22 am

It may not be as trendy as the LED setups but you can build 20 watt halogen spotlight
for about $15 w/ bulb. You can get everything at the local Home Depot with the exception of the socket (ordered online for $4)

One benefit of the design is the utter simplicity. You can make this light. Just drill a hole in the back and run the wires from the socket out the back. Plug in the bulb and screw everything together. Done.. :) The whole project takes less than 30 minutes to assemble.

The bulbs are roughly $3 each. I got a 3 pack for $9 at Lowes. Just a note that at Home Depot I could only find flood lights. I found the spot lights (mr16 20 watt spot light) at lowes only. YMMV

Bob hooked me up with a 2.5 hour battery + charger + switch for a good price. ($75)

Bringing this project to $90 total with battery/switch. Also I am told this same battery can be used for HID setups so its not like your stuck if you want to upgrade!

If you wanted to double your runtime you could throw in a 10 watt bulb very easily. Just slide the rubber thingy off and pop in any MR16 bulb. (track lighting). Also nice, the bulb is already rated for outdoor use (waterproof housing)

http://www.instructables.com/id/BIKE-LIGHT-500-Lumen-%22Mt.Bike%22-for-under-10-bucks-/

Just a few notes if your considering the project:
* Don't bother with the RCA as the plan calls for. Bob hooked me up with a better connector and a charger/battery that use that same connector. (same connector used to hook up your lights when towing a trailer)
* Not a fan of soldering so I used wire crimps. Don't use wire nuts as the vibration will shake them loose. You can crimp the wire together with any pair of wire strippers.
* Toss some hot glue (or other waterproof glue) in the rear hole to make the project water-tight and so you don't accidentally yank the bulb out of the socket.
* you don't need all the hardware he suggests. I did buy that clamp to use as a helmet mount. Any self locking vinyl nut/bolt will do. don't agonize over finding his exact parts. I just found some laying around my shop.
* To mount to the helmet I take the hanger they suggest in the link above and just bend it flat. Then run some zip ties through the holes on the end and your helmet. Simple and sturdy.

Hit the white part with some black spray paint to make it look a bit less homemade.

Any questions PM me.
ladieu
Site Admin

2 1/2 hr run time battery pac!

Postby robanco » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14 am

Nimh battery pac
i got em'
412 795 7444
robanco

Postby mofiki » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:25 pm

Those Maglite drop in pils don't give off a whole lot of lumens. All the light is directed to a spot beam which doesn't work well at all for the mountainbiking application. However, there are ways to mod a mag that make them excellent lights for mountainbiking and brighter than HID. But it ain't cheap.
mofiki

Previous

Return to The Doctor Is In