Aluminum Frame Repair

need helping fixing it?
purchasing suggestions?

Aluminum Frame Repair

Postby mofiki » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:55 pm

I got a Opera road frame that started to crack from the weld at the bottom of the seat tube where it's joined to the BB housing and spirals around the back upwards up the tube about 1.5" long. The tube hasn't completely broke in two but with my power it's only a matter of time. Does anyone know anywhere in the country to get frame repairs done. The internet hasn't been helpful.
mofiki

Postby Diamond Jim » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:17 am

Sorry, but you can't weld an aluminum frame. Well, you can, it's not recommended as any welding heat will kill the hardening without another heat treatment to restore it. If you can't get any warranty on it you might as well give it a try. Did you check out the welding place in the Strip? I think it's called Allegheny Welding. I'm sure they could glob some welding rod on for you.
"Only the best for my friends and they aren't here."
See some of my artwork here:
http://johnhinderliter.blogspot.com/
Diamond Jim
check out my scars

Postby Jason » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm

Yea, welding AL is not recommended. You will need to heat treat the frame again after welding on it. A lot of welders will not know what to do with a nice aluminum frame also as most of them have never worked with the alloys that bike frames are made of. Most welders are also used to working on much thicker materials than what a bike frame is. If the crack gets away from the end of the tube much you are screwed. Most frames are butted at the end of the tube for strength and so that the welder has enough material to weld to. I am a certified welder and I would never trust a aluminum frame that was welded back together. Steel though is no problem. Most companies off a crash replacement program. Cannondale for instance offers a significant discount on a traded in frame no matter what brand it is.
Jason
check out my scars

Postby brungeman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Thick bikes! I think Chris has the know how to do just bout anything! If he can't help... he will steer you in the right direction!
brungeman
check out my scars

Postby Diamond Jim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:28 pm

I thought he only worked in steel. My advice is JB Weld. If JB Weld won't fix it, it ain't worth fixin'.
Diamond Jim
check out my scars

Postby mofiki » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:54 pm

I'll bet I can get something for it on Ebay. I'd be honest about. Really. :lol:
mofiki

Postby Jason » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:I thought he only worked in steel. My advice is JB Weld. If JB Weld won't fix it, it ain't worth fixin'.

Hell yea, but honestly, has anyone ever had any good experiences with JB weld? I have never been able to make that stuff work for me.
Jason
check out my scars

Postby Diamond Jim » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:07 am

Over the years I've fixed a cracked radiator, a broken rocking chair and an XTR driveside crank. Of course, none of the repairs were what you'd call "permanent" :D
Diamond Jim
check out my scars

Return to The Doctor Is In