North Park trail recommendation(s)

info about local trails

North Park trail recommendation(s)

Postby jjdemann » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Can anyone recommend any good ride suggestions for a moderate (#2), 1.5-2hr ride loop at North Park? NP is close to my work, and I'm looking for a good route to ride throughout the week after work. I'm familiar with the park, and have bike the trails, but have not found a good continuous ride for the time I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
jjdemann
got my training wheels

Re: North Park trail recommendation(s)

Postby swhile » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:26 pm

I started getting creative with different ways to link up trails to get rides like that. I ride North Park a lot and found this approach adds a little variety. Sometimes, you have to work in a little road ride to link up trails. Yell at some roadies on your way to feel better. Here are some options. I find that parking at the Spillway (or cannon), or the Boat House gives the most options for linking up trails and then ending up back at your car.

Park at Spillway or cannon, up the hill and drop in to the right, then shooting range trail OR Koto Buki trail, (possibly add street ride to Girl Scout climb and Front 9 trail), then street ride to Compost Pile / V8 trail, then Back 9 trail, then options by the Bathtub trail. If you feel good you can even then add the North Ridge trail.

Park at Spillway or cannon, up the hill and drop in to the right, when you get to West Ridge Road, head back over to do the Pool trails. If you do all the trail and some fire roads, you can get 8 miles up by the pool.

Park at Spillway or cannon, up the hill to the Pool trails, then Koto Buki or shooting range trail, then street ride to Front 9 trail or Compost/V8 trail and/or Back 9 trail.

Park at Boat House, street ride to dog park, up the steep hill on the road, then Compost/V8 trail, then Back 9 trail, then options by Bathtub trail, then North Ridge trail.

Park by Ice Rink, then North Ridge trail and Pfundstein extension, then at bottom of hill near the Spillway, go back up the hill on the trail and do the OLD North ridge trail. You can also park at the Spillway and do this in reverse.

Park at Boat House, street ride to North Ridge trail, then short trail behind townhouses, up to the Pool trails.

It's hard to explain. I could show you some loops.
swhile
lubed and ready to go

Re: North Park trail recommendation(s)

Postby jjdemann » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you, very helpful. It is a bit difficult to visualize, but I think I can piece it together.
jjdemann
got my training wheels

Return to Trail Talk