Trail Names

info about local trails

Trail Names

Postby Frickster » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Can anyone tell me why the "Iron Gate Trail" is named that?

Also, what's the name of the trail that runs parallel to and in between the South Clayton and Falls Ravine trails? It includes a pair of large ramps over a fallen tree and ultimately dips down and comes out at the Biddle Trail.

Thanks.
Frickster
got my training wheels

Re: Trail Names

Postby lethaljd » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Iron Grate used to have a large iron grate (section of fencing, it looked like) at the very top after the first rooty descent that you had to roll over. The grate was removed awhile back but the name stayed.

I think the other trail you are referring to is "Nature Trail", but I may be wrong.
lethaljd
got my training wheels

Postby Frickster » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Ah, so it's Iron "Grate"? Thanks. Appreciate the info!
Frickster
got my training wheels

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm

It is a pittsburgh thing, we like to name and describe things by what is not there anymore.
Jason
check out my scars

Postby Justin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Frickster wrote:Also, what's the name of the trail that runs parallel to and in between the South Clayton and Falls Ravine trails? It includes a pair of large ramps over a fallen tree and ultimately dips down and comes out at the Biddle Trail.

That trail is commonly called Bradema, although I don't know what the official name is or if there even is one.

lethaljd wrote:I think the other trail you are referring to is "Nature Trail", but I may be wrong.

Nature Trail is the name of the gravel trail that the singletrack starts from. Bradema is the name of the singletrack trail.
Justin
love the rocks

Return to Trail Talk