Looking for un-mapped Settlers Cabin trails

info about local trails

Looking for un-mapped Settlers Cabin trails

Postby GTroller » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am

I've read about some sections and trails that aren't on the actual Settlers Cabin map, like a switchback DH section, and some other things.

Can anyone send me in the right direction?

Thanks!
GTroller
got my training wheels

Re: Looking for un-mapped Settlers Cabin trails

Postby mtnsurf20 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Not sure if this helps....

Apparently I can't post a link here, but try pennsylvania dirt . com. There's a section on settlers cabin w descriptions and locations for mtb trails

I live in Greentree and have been looking for places close to home (besides south park) to ride. I haven't been to Settlers in years. Last time i was there it was pretty over grown.

reply back or PM me if you have any useful info. It's a lot easier for me to drive to settlers compared to south park
mtnsurf20
got my training wheels

Postby macd5018 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:25 pm

I live in green tree also, and would like to know of any trails in settles cabin to ride. I need a close place.
macd5018
check out my helmet

Postby mtnsurf20 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:47 am

I'm probably gonna head out there next week after work & check them out. I know of a trail head that drops into the woods by Tomahawk pavilion. I haven't been out there in years, but there was a thread in trail maintenance started by GTroller last spring looking for people to improve & clean up the trails. Not sure if anything materialized. There also may be some trails in Thornburg Park I may check out. The traffic driving to s park after work sucks, I'd definitely like to find some closer trails
mtnsurf20
got my training wheels

Postby GTroller » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:37 am

mtnsurf20 wrote:I'm probably gonna head out there next week after work & check them out. I know of a trail head that drops into the woods by Tomahawk pavilion. I haven't been out there in years, but there was a thread in trail maintenance started by GTroller last spring looking for people to improve & clean up the trails. Not sure if anything materialized. There also may be some trails in Thornburg Park I may check out. The traffic driving to s park after work sucks, I'd definitely like to find some closer trails

There is a newer, not fully developed, switchback section that runs down by the Tomahawk Pavilion. Just head down the original trail maybe 15ft, and you'll see the path off to the right. I haven't been there in about 2 months though, so I can't say what that trail is like now. It was pretty rocky and root covered when I hit it before, but you could tell that it was clearly just unfinished.

As for Thornburg, there's a decent length of singletrack that runs around the park and follows Chartiers Creek, but it terminates into the woods. Meaning you have to ride the same trail in reverse to get back. Still fun though! I hit this one all the time in the mornings. By afternoon, or on weekends, it gets a little busy there with people walking their dogs and whatever else. When you get to the parking lot, hang a left (East direction) into the park and head towards the creek. Check it out on Google Maps if you don't understand what I mean. Once you get closer to the creek, you'll see a little dirt hill that rides up and connects to the singletrack.

I'm too lazy right now, but later I'll try and throw up a pic of the map with the trail colored in.
GTroller
got my training wheels

Postby mtnsurf20 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for the info. How long can you ride the Thornburg trail until it ends?
mtnsurf20
got my training wheels

Postby GTroller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 pm

If you jump on the singletrack at the start, ride to the end, then double back, it's right at 4 miles.
GTroller
got my training wheels

Return to Trail Talk