Seven Springs race course

info about local trails

Seven Springs race course

Postby ReadySetGo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I've rode this course on many occasions over the years and I'd like to say the direction and some of the addons were good. Now for the down side view. In my opinion it's a brutal course. The rocks have surfaced in just about the whole length of the course. I understand alot of work went into getting this trail to the point to where it is now but this is definately a young mans course now. I heard alot of complaints about the difficulty dealing with the rocks and it just seems that it's not a joy to ride in alot of peoples minds. Also something that I wasn't a fan of was the tight turns around all the trees and things. I found it hard to try to get speed anywhere. One thing that makes biking fun is going fast, if it's just slow hard work that's not fun. I noticed the attendance for the race was down this year, which I'm sure is due to many reasons, but I have decided not to visit this trail again. I'll miss it but the time has come for me to look at other trails like Big Bear. Big Bear is well maintained, smoother, and fast.
ReadySetGo
check out my helmet

Re: Seven Springs race course

Postby 2nicolette » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 am

I have done the race many times over the last 10 years, and I ride there a couple of times a year. I didn't find it rockier than years past. The turns were tighter, but I enjoyed that aspect. One thing I missed was the mid-race camp crossover.
2nicolette
got my training wheels

Postby Deluxe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 pm

First year not to make race in a while, but yeah, still ride there once or twice a year and definitely no rockier than before. You can pay $29.00 and ride the beginner DH trail all day - nice and smooth.

Bummer to hear about no mid-race camp. We usually pitched with Team Flannel and Seersucker at the crest before the approach to the lodge. I miss it...it's a such a great place to ride (especially at night).
Deluxe
check out my scars

Re: Seven Springs Race Course

Postby Ride King » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:32 pm

"Relentless" would be a good word to describe this year's Seven Springs' 24 Hours race course.

Now that a proper trail is grooved in across the North Face slopes as a result of this year's race course it is safe to say that you can expect the race loop return to previous year's direction for future races.

With the decline of 24-Hour races, what format do you think would be appropriate for Seven Springs, Labor Day Weekend in 2012?

Seven Hours of Power?
Ride King
check out my scars

Postby aarons » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

7 hours is too short.

I really hope you keep it 24, but if not...the 9 hour and 12 hour races seem to have a lot of participants at them.
I'd prefer the 12 hour race, just to get the night time laps in. 12-12.

Still leaves a lot of time for partying afterwards, and those sorts of races always have lots of people hanging out afterwards.
aarons
lubed and ready to go

Postby Deluxe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:23 pm

That is a tough weekend. It's increasingly more difficulty for older codgers to justify spending that particular weekend away from the family especially at the beginning of the school year. You have to consider that the XC crowd is now aging and having kids (most youngsters seem to be shifting back into BMX or freeride), and although Seven Springs is a fun spot, it's not always so fun (or easy) for the spouse and the kids. I think I speak for the members of at least two competitive men's teams. After 5 or 6 years of leaving home that weekend, you get that "not again" look from the wife. That being said, I would prefer that race over any other 24 hour race out there, just on a weekend earlier in the summer. Is there any way you can do an actual survey to find out why attendance is down? I don't think it's cost or the course itself but rather cost, school, family and vacation obligations, etc., that may be hurting things a bit. I agree with Aaron - keep it 12 or 24. Besides, Granny Gear is dropping off because Laird is such a douche. On the other hand, you are well-liked!
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby Ride King » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah, a 12 hour race on another weekend sounds good to me. The question is how do we convince someone at 7S who actually gives a crap?

You never know, someday 7S might host a WVMBA x/c race, a 12 hour endurance x/c race, a MOM c/x and x/c race weekend all in the same year, but I seriously doubt it will happen in this decade.
Ride King
check out my scars

Postby Deluxe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 am

There used to be a springs MoM race at Springs. I think it was the first race I ever did. Maybe back in 02 0r 03. I would do it again. It was very fun.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby Bushwacker » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:03 pm

I liked that course, its FING mountain biking. Get a real bike(FS and get some real tires) the course wasnt all that rough on a 4 inch travel, 29er with 2.3 inch tires.... just saying.

The new DH was epically fun to bomb.
Bushwacker
looks good in armor

Return to Trail Talk