moraine trail work

discuss and plan

Moderator: PTAG

moraine trail work

Postby spurk » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:55 pm

I am moving the next moraine trailday up to may 13th instead of the 20th.

We have the entire downhill section marked out but we need to rake it out and complete a bunch of rockwork. Scott and Josh made a good start to a huge bridge. I would say the trail is about 3/4 roughed in and rideable through to the top. Now all the new section needs is the rest roughed in and connected to the existing trail. Strong backs and week minds are needed for the 13th to heave rocks into place. :lol:
spurk

Re: moraine trail work

Postby Bartender » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:17 pm

spurk wrote:Strong backs and week minds are needed for the 13th to heave rocks into place. :lol:

Sounds like me. I'll mark the calendar!
There exists not a more intolerant and closed-minded person, than a tolerance preaching open-minded youth.
Bartender
love the rocks

yes

Postby spurk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:31 pm

yes that was primarily directed to the single speed masocists out there. I figure you guys like punishing yourselves when you ride bikes so why not do it during trail work as well. :P
spurk

Postby pratt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:25 pm

make sure you put a note on the calendar, I'll do my best to be there.
couldn't make this past weekend, had some other things I needed to attend to....
pratt
check out my scars

bridge

Postby spurk » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Biber asked that i take some pics of the new bridge we put in at moraine. I went to moraine tonight and just about finished raking in the new section. Saturday i expect to go to moraine early and put in a connector that will allow people to ride the new loop we are working on...minus the downhill by cutting it into the switchback that is on the backside of the powerline downhill. This will let people ride that section as a loop and start the process of wearing it in. It is still rough but here are some pics.
To all those guys that tore their backs up making the rock monster at the beginning of the trail a rider asked that i thank everyone. i think his name was travis saeler and he races for trek of pittsburgh i think. He was stoked to ride that rock section we put in last year. Hats off to the guys that helped build that b/c everyone seems to like it. now for the pics.

new bridge
kind of in the middle of the new dh (that isnt done yet ) looking back up at some of the rocks

one of the switchbacks in the new dh. very roughed in.

This is a rock step down about 40 feet long with rocks the size of car hoods (4 steps down i think each progessively bigger) and you loose about 15 feet in elevation, give or take. This is on the new trail, but it isnt smoothed out at all so you transition into scree and a tree. The last drop will be about waist high with a dh slope. There is an alternate path (just roughed in tonight) for those not inclined to take the drops. This section was Yoho approved.
spurk

Postby drumbum » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:25 am

Wow, looking really quality--can't wait to see the finished product :)

Looks like Travis was happy to meet you:
http://storktorq.blogspot.com/2007/04/h ... worth.html
-Vaughn
VWCX Blog
drumbum
love the rocks

Postby rocko » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Looking great, I can't wait to get back up to Moraine.
rocko

Postby spurk » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:14 pm

drumbum wrote:Wow, looking really quality--can't wait to see the finished product :)

Looks like Travis was happy to meet you:
http://storktorq.blogspot.com/2007/04/h ... worth.html

yeah, i dont know how single speed guys can ride that crap. I would pass out and die. give me gears and suspension anyday.
spurk

Return to Trail Maintenance