North Park Ride and Work Day

discuss and plan

Moderator: PTAG

North Park Ride and Work Day

Postby rodack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Short notice - short workday.

This Saturday, 9/25/10, we'll be doing a short ride and work day to fix a couple areas on N Ridge to prepare for a bike race. Meet at the lodge parking lot on N Ridge Rd at 9:00AM.

We'll ride to a couple spots that need to be fixed up with a bit of bench cutting, cut back some overgrowth, and add grip tape to two bridges. If there's time, we'll make sure that all the rock armoring along the route is solid.

Bring a wire brush and folding saw if you have one. We have to clean up the bridge tread before applying the grip tape and the more tools we have the better.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Re: North Park Ride and Work Day

Postby brungeman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:36 am

Mike, don't know if you will get my email, but don't use grip tape, it is a waste of time and money and won't last. (as I stated in my email it will probably last about 22 1/2 minutes) The adhesive on most grip tape is not water proof and as the lumber under it soaks up water, the tape will peel off.

use deck restore epoxy it will last and be far more effective at providing traction and will add protection to the lumber making it last longer. It is probably about the same cost as grip tape! It has a kind of rubbery feel with a great texture that is pretty damn grippy... you can get it in a bunch of colors as well... I think you can get it at the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot!
http://www.armorpoxy.com/pool-coatings-outdoor-patios-decks/1442/

just my .02
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”
- Edward Abbey
Mr. Abbey forgot "inspiring, and fulfilling"
if it aint broke, Fix it till it is!
brungeman
check out my scars

Postby cburch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:42 pm

boat paint mixed with coarse sand also works wonders and is pretty damn cheap.
cburch
love the rocks

Postby rodack » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:58 pm

It's safety tread tape. It's not for submerged use, but it's made for outdoor, heavy traffic. The stuff on the new bridge is holding up so far (2 months), but I'm open to suggestions for future projects. I'll check out the boat paint and epoxy.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby brungeman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 am

Deck restore is the stuff used at 7-springs on the bridging on super connector's ~30' bridge. 2+ years, sturdy and still grippy.

it only took about 6 months for the "griptape" (industrial tread tape http://www.nonsliptreads.com/Product.asp?cid=23&pid=36 ) to lose stickyness on a set of stairs and start peeling. It was right after a snow/thaw that I started noticing the peeling, some of the pieces are still stuck, but out of 22 treads I think 3 are still there! I would look for something that soaks in and bonds with the decking. In my experience boat paint is expensive... Collin, if you know of a place to get boat paint cheap, please let me know, i need some in the near future.

again, my .02
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”
- Edward Abbey
brungeman
check out my scars

Postby manhattanprjkt83 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:23 am

you're a deck restore
erosion isn’t a real term, it's just for people who like saying it.
save a tree, eat a beaver.
manhattanprjkt83
check out my scars

Postby brungeman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 pm

You're a loony!
- Edward Abbey
brungeman
check out my scars

Postby gearhead313 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:28 pm

mmmmmm sonya looney :)

lame
gearhead313
looks good in armor

Postby brungeman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 pm

looks flexy!

she needs to put on shoes she could get a splinter!
- Edward Abbey
brungeman
check out my scars

Postby cburch » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:30 pm

dave, i guess when you grow up on the shore of one of the great lakes, boat paint is a lot more plentiful and therefore a lot cheaper. we use it on a lot of the farm equipment because it lasts for so long. my dad has even been known to repaint farm trucks with the leftovers. nothing says class like a mint green and navy blue truck with huge brush strokes all over it and a homemade flatbed.
cburch
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 pm

What Colin has not told you is that his upbringing on the lake shore also included a steady diet of boat paint chips.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby cburch » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm

not so much exclusively boat paint. really any lead based paint i could get ahold of. thats how i are soooo smrt!

brian, when are you gonna make it out to a freeride thursday?
cburch
love the rocks

Postby Deluxe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 am

As soon as I get canned from posting too much on this site. Colin my man, I would love to, but my personal and work like have not been conducive to riding (even XC as of late). Peewee football season is in full swing for one of my shorties (which means straight from work to football field then home at 8 pm, help put the baby to bed, eat, sleep, help Sal with school work or Madden 10, [beer], wake up and do it again as the Beach Boys say...). Plus you em-effers are absolutley nuts, and you all are going to get me killed trying to do that freeride shit. I did walk it the other day during Sal's XC meet up there. I must say, the work you all have been doing is truly, truly pioneering. One day I hope the Stones play there! I can seriously see Rick Sebak doing a WQED documentary on freeride trails in Pittsburgh like 20 years from now; Colin you will still look the same, as you launch off in the distance behind Mr. Sebak as he huffs up the return trail (which will hopefully have a lift by then), but your beard will be down to your knees and you'll have added 10 pounds of metal and ink to other parts of your body. They'll then show old black and whites of the build crew like those old photos of miners and railroad workers from the 1800's...

Seriously, though, I hope that you all realize the incredible impact you have had, and will continue to have, not only with the riding community, but for the youth (who lost their BMX track in 90s) as well as local businesses who are now seeing an increase in DH/FR bike sales (not to mention the added business for UPMC and local EMS - haha!).

But your work is truly historic.

I can probably make it out there sometime in mid-late Oct (Dr. J is cuttin' me soon though so I am not sure what that means for riding for the rest of the year...).

And the paint chip diet is okay, but don't get old!
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby Deluxe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Reminder: 9/25/10 NP workday - see details from Rodack above! (please excuse the subsequent thread hijack).
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby Gregg3333 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Deluxe wrote:Reminder: 9/25/10 NP workday - see details from Rodack above! (please excuse the subsequent thread hijack).

I'm soooo confused now. Too many paint chips?
Gregg3333
looks good in armor

Postby Deluxe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:56 am

yes sorry! I was out of the loop for a week and totally spaced out. Week behind schedule, but I am sure Mike needs the help so feel free to continue help him bench cut the new stuff if you have a few extra hours here or there...he can always loan tools out for the day.
Deluxe
check out my scars

Postby rodack » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 pm

That deck restore looks promising, I think I'll try it on the next new bridge. The only problem is how to keep people off of existing bridges for the 2 days it takes to put the stuff on.
-Mike
rodack
love the rocks

Postby cburch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:06 am

hire the north park troll. trolls love protecting bridges. use his crazy to our advantage.
cburch
love the rocks

Return to Trail Maintenance