First mountain bike help!

doesn't belong somewhere else? post it here.

First mountain bike help!

Postby Ramjam » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Hello.
I am looking into getting my first bike since I have been A little kid. Mainly will be riding on rails to trails at first and hopefully get into some simpler single track. Looking for a great first bike that I won't grow out of too fast, but when I do I can easily upgrade the parts. I also, don't want to spend a lot seeing I am new to the sport. Don't want to spend over 650. I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a bike. Oh, and I know I at least want a 29er!

Thanks.
Ramjam
got my training wheels

Re: First mountain bike help!

Postby Unreal Machine » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 pm

The rule of thumb is to buy the absolute best bike you can afford. The reason for this is because:

1. They are better.
2. Less upgrades required at time of purchase and or future needs.
3. You'll regret not getting that bike at the next level up. Trust me, almost everyone regrets this.
4. It's worth it.

Rails to trails and even the simplest of singletrack are two completely different sets of terrain. A bike that would suit both is not even close to being optimal for either. If you want to ride primarily rails to trails, then you don't need/want a mountain bike. Best thing to do is go to a local bike shop and ask them for guidance. Try Dirty Harry's. If $650 is your absolute limit, then look into buying a used bike. Good luck.
Unreal Machine
lubed and ready to go

Re: First mountain bike help!

Postby robertt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:14 am

If you are thinking new, ride every bike you can.
You will know when it is right.
Local Dealer is very important, Dirty Harry's = Full service shop.
robertt
mmm, sweet spds

Return to General