"Honey ..is it cool if I go take a ride?"

doesn't belong somewhere else? post it here.

"Honey ..is it cool if I go take a ride?"

Postby GREENFIELDMIKE » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:06 am

Who has the answer to the most common problem plaguing bike riding? I dont, but I see my friends suffering from this affliction on nearly every nice weekday, and EVERY nice weekend. HER. She shuts down more rides than PTAG, and there's nothing anyone can do to help with THIS technical difficulty at the bike shop.
I see guys who's heartbeat doesnt even raise looking down trecherous decents put their tails between their legs and "get off the bike" in the face of the punishment they would take if they tried to endure her anger by going on a ride. Ive been on many rides cut short after hearing the tone of that fateful cellphone call. Ive been awake and on the trail before dawn to try to "slip one in" and get home before her wrath rises like the tide and consumes ALL the rides for the rest of the month. Countless hopeful phone-calls end in a disappointing "cant go" on the nicest of afternoons.
I know we all have our differences. But i think this is the issue that can bring all cyclists together. Are you guys going to keep letting her call the shots, plan the rides, and clear your purchases, or are you going to take back your testicles for the 2012 riding season?
Its a serious problem in this community. GREENFIELD MIKE President BAOW (Bikers Against Overbearing Wives)

Join me or DIE
GREENFIELDMIKE
mmm, sweet spds

Re: "Honey ..is it cool if I go take a ride?"

Postby velomuse » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Heh? Perhaps it is because I am a woman and also a woman who rides (a lot), but it seems apparent to me that this "wrath" you speak of is completely separate from the bad reputation being given to the sport of mountain-biking. Perhaps, these friends you speak of have deeper relationship issues, are being flakey or irresponsible to what their significant other thinks has been agreed upon as a mutual priority? Maybe they want to spend more time together? Who knows? Unless you ask. It could be many things that invoke the annoyed wrath in this case, not just cycling. When in doubt, tell your friends to invite her cycling on occasion, you can play hooky together. Isn't that the goal, after all? Bringing cyclists together?
"Creating Lifelong Cyclists."
velomuse
got my training wheels

Postby swampboy62 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 am

My wife is great about me getting out to ride. I guess it's because we actually have a fairly equal, mature relationship (like it should be).

Don't think I'll join you.

Steve Z
swampboy62
love the rocks

Postby cburch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 am

my wife shoves me out the door with my bike when i'm getting cranky. i do the same to/for her. i doubt the biking is the only issue in the relationship if its really that contentious, and i doubt that its really that contentious if the relationship isn't bad. people tend to exaggerate issues like this to be funny, seem cool, etc. Also, asking if its cool to go ride, even if you already know the answer is yes, is one of those polite things we do to show each other that we have respect and concern for each other's feelings and wishes. you know, the sort of thing that makes mature relationships work.
cburch
love the rocks

Postby sharp » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:13 am

I think Greenfield Mike's gay lover doesn't mind Mike riding his MTB. It gets him out of the house and let's his partner actually have an enjoyable afternoon. JMHO.
sharp
lubed and ready to go

Return to General